Gas Mileage for 2007-2008 4-cylinder Camry ?

Anyone own 2007 or 2008 4-cylinder Camry ? What kind of gas mileage do you get ?

I see newspaper advertisements from Toyota dealer saying 34mpg and another one saying 31mpg (for a non-hybrid 4-cylinder Camry).

This seems high to me can you state actual mileage you get for City driving / Hwy ?

Reply to
techtrainer

I have had a 4 cyl since I purchased it new in 1995. Its the 2.2 16 valve automatic. Now 92K Miles.

Day to day city maybe in the 24/25 MPG area. thats 4.5 liters to the UK Gallon.

On a good run at our motorway speeds 70/80 MPH. ( 70 is the legal limit here ) I return 33/34 mpg. Which is ok I think.

I ran Toyota MR2s for years and never got much better.

As petrol has reached GB£5.00= US$9 + a gallon here. One has to take care.

But for its size and comfort I am ok with those returns.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

The new EPA figures are accurate.

Reply to
Art

The Camry is a fairly large auto., so a light foot will net better mileage. If driven averagely, it will likely return 24ish mpg US overall.

Reply to
Bob H

If by "averagely" you mean "with a lead foot" then yes. Our '95 sedan and '95 wagon, which are both very large, average 26-34 MPG overall, depending on season and proportion of highway to city driving. We drive them gently but not dangerously slow.

Reply to
mjc1

i have an 06 4 cyl camry and get 23-24 mpg around town . on the road get low 30s . like 31 to 33 mpg which i think is pretty good . can get close to 500 miles per tank on the road .

Reply to
Dave Dave

Reply to
BigJim

Thanks all of you .. the reason I was asking is I am thinking of getting a 2007 or 2008 camry - 4 cylinder (non hybrid version) .. and now with gas so high here in the San Francisco-San Jose Bay Area, getting good mileage has become an important factor. But I cannot afford the hybrid premium so it is not an option. I see Camry LE sedans (Auto-AC-Power windows, etc) advertised for as low as $17000 + tax, which seems to be a good price. Although I would have preferred they had not changed the shape from the previous model . this one looks too bloated .. as if someone took the previous model inserted a syringe in its belly and pumped a lot of air to make it bloated. (just my opinion)

I have been driving a 1987 camry and get 30+ mpg pretty comfortably (mixed driving)

So I gather I should get around 24mpg city to 30+ mpg highway driving .. right ?

Reply to
techtrainer

That seems about right. The people who will see a large benefit from the hybrid are the ones who do little highway driving, and lots of city driving in heavy traffic.

Reply to
mjc1

Yeah, do avoid the V6 version with the new U660E series transmission. These skip gears and thus far have no known fix other than replacement.

Reply to
johngdole

Bought my Camry SE in July, 2007--4 cyl. w/ auto. transmission. Traded in a V-10 Dodge 4x4 for mileage reasons--went in to get a Corolla, but figured for a little less mileage, I'd get a larger car with more comfort and a body style that I find much more attractive than the Nissan or Honda "equivalents." Anyway, on to the mileage question.....

At the time of purchase, I had a 77 mile round trip to make daily for work--about 7 of it city driving, 10 of it highway, and the remaining 60 interstate highway. Because I figured out the time differentials, the difference between driving 75 on the freeway (70 limit) and 65 was about

3.5-4 minutes difference; I kept it cruise-controlled to 65 mph for the trip and let the cars pass me (3 lanes on the interstate for 50 of the 60 miles). This being said, 30-31 mpg avg.......Trips outside of this steady "study," and using speeds of 70-75 (not many of them to make a definite "claim") usually knocked it down to 28-29 mpg.

I have since moved and my driving is now primarily city driving (7 mile round trip to work) where the car does not get properly warmed before it is time to shut down and go into work--it has cut my mileage dramatically. I have been doing this new routine for four months now, and have been getting 3-4 weeks between fillups (as opposed to every 4-6 days before), and have been seeing 20-24 mpg.......Still much better than the 8.5-10 mpg I would've been getting with the V-10........

Hope you find this helpful........

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

Just a caution about your current driving regime: it's very bad for the car. You can help some by using synthetic oil, but you really need to find a way to get the car fully warmed up before shutting it off. Idling it isn't usually recommended, but in this case try idling it for

5 minutes before leaving for work, then running it at 3k RPM for 1 minute when you arrive, then let it drop back to idle for 5 seconds before shutting it off. You need to get rid of all water vapor and condensate in the oil.
Reply to
mjc1

How many minutes does it take you to drive the 3.5 miles (one way) to your work?

How much water vapor is in the oil anyway, and how much vapor is taken in once you drive the car or park it for a long time? Perhaps once a week is evaporation ok? I mean If he drives the car during the weekends and runs it fairly long enough to evaporate the water vapor in the oil.

Reply to
EdV

When the engine isn't usualy warmed up, hydrochoric acid forms in the oil, and stays. While not quite as bad as it sounds, it definitely shortens engine life. Not warming it up once a week is *far* better than warming it up fully just once a week.

Reply to
mjc1

Takes about 12 minutes to get to work.....

Even on the coldest days this winter, by the time I got to work, the heater was blowing hot air--the engine was warm, just not warm "soon" enough to get "good" mileage. Wear on the engine? Possibly/probably, but I am not going to walk to work, can't ride the bus, and there is no one to carpool with.....Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....

I am making sure that the oil gets changed right at three thousand miles, rather than letting it slide a few more since I was running primarily highway miles with an engine that had plenty of time to run at proper temps before. Oh, and while the primary use of the vehicle is for work, I do have days off and have opportunities to regularly get the engine up to proper temps for long enough periods to burn off any "impurities." Thanks for the concern and comments--It's pretty cool knowing that the readers here are concerned for the Camry's of others! I was just letting the original poster know what kind of mileage my '07 gets, and what kind of driving I do to get it.

Finally, I went for a 200 mile road trip on Sunday--snowing, temps in the low 30's, wet roads most of the time, two-lane U.S. Highways, cruise-controlled at anywhere from 63-68 mph, non-studded snow tires on the car (Hankook Ice-Bears)--29.8 mpg.

Talk later!

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

You should still consider using full synthetic oil, and running the engine at 3k for a minute before letting it drop back to idle and turning it off. Burning off contaminants occasionally won't be of more than moderate help in protecting the engine.

Reply to
mjc1

I get about 27 mpg on highway

Reply to
nilaysh

There are two issues here. You never see "combined averages" in TV ads anymore, which would give you a much better idea of what your actual figure would be. Instead they list only "highway" MPG, and act as if it's the average. That's deceptive sales practice. The other thing to consider is that the Camry has, in the past, been the best family-sized car I know of in the area of average MPG. Our '95 averages 27-35. Not highway, actual average, in about 2/3 highway, 1/3 city driving. The low end is for Winter driving with more city in the mix, the higher number is for Summer with more highway driving. (We drive gently but not dangerously slow.) The newer ones seem heavier and more powerful, so those highway averages are probably accurate. Shame, because our highway number is around 40...

Reply to
mjc1

'07 Camry SE w/ 4 cyl., auto tran., 40,000+ miles, and OEM 17" wheels

-- 21-23 city, 28.5-30 highway.

Reply to
Stan Wright

Yea, there is simply too much HP in these base vehicles, in the 80's I was getting mid 40's mpg highway (92 hp), in the 90's 30'smpg (125hp or something), now high 20's mpg (158hp). Fine have an option with more hp for people who want/need it, but really, I don't need the

158hp, the corolla doesn't get anywhere in the 40's even.
Reply to
bungalow_steve