Gas Mileage Question for Camry Owners

City gas mileage for the new 4-cylinder Camry is listed as 21 mpg. However, in fine print the sticker says that actual mileage can be anywhere between something like 17 - 23 (I forget the exact numbers). Is this range of mpg due to the different driving conditions that may be encountered, or does it refer to variability in the inherent fuel economy of the car from one sample to the next?

This potential purchase will be replacing our big minivan that gets about 16-17 mpg around town (suburbs) and I would be very disappointed if I bought the relatively smaller Camry and ended up getting 17 mpg again in those same driving conditions.

Thanks.

Reply to
pixel_a_ted

I don't know for certain, but it sounds like the variation may be due to differences in driving styles. If one does jackrabbit starts, drives up to red lights at the speed limit, etc, he won't expect to get the sort of city mileage of someone who eases out of a stop light, and looks ahead a block or two and if he sees a red light in front of him, simply coasts up to it (and possibly makes it to the green light without having to stop altogether.) The acceleration from a dead stop to 20-25 mph is where the gas consumption really ....sucks. Smoothness of acceleration and not having to be first in line at the next red light yield important increases in fuel mileage.

Reply to
mack

Reply to
BigJim

The range is not based differences from one sample to the next.

Mileage will vary mostly by the driving habits of the driver, which is the biggest factor. Also, a brand new car will typically not get the best mileage until the piston rings have seated properly (don't let engine get too high of an RPM the first 500 miles). It takes a few thousands miles for this to happen.

For the first oil change at 5000 miles, I would recommend you switch to synthetic (or at least synthetic blend).

Reply to
Mark A

I have just this last 5 weeks been running around local be cause of a member of the family being in hospital so its been max 12 mile journeys.

But lots of them. Consumption on my 1995 4 Auto with 94k mile on was 24 MPG. UK gallon is 4.5 litres.

Cost now of petrol is £1.25 per litre so its x 4.5 for a gallon = GB£5.22 = US$10.40.

How you like them eggs lol.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

I have an '07 Camry SE V6 and have gotten on average 25.6 mpg for the first

12K miles. Recent trip of about 2200 miles averaged 29.6 doing mostly interstate and turnpike, 70 to 75 mph most of the run, included pass through Smoky mountains (loved that part of the drive). Overall very happy with combination of performance, dependability (no trips for warranty work so far), and mileage.
Reply to
Raven

Im sure the Gallon he referred to was a US gallon, isnt that minus

12.5% or you get 21 not 24 mpg.
Reply to
ransley

Im sure the Gallon he referred to was a US gallon, isnt that minus

12.5% or you get 21 not 24 mpg.

Mine was calculated on a UK 4.5 Ltr Gallon,

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

My 130K miles 5-speed 4 cyl 1994 Camry: ~27MPG street (half stop-and- go, half at 40MPH), ~37MPG (calculated right after one highway trip) highway lately after replacing the fuel filter. I also added gas treatment once a while. I put the gear to neutral a lot of times, eg., before reaching traffic lights, when going down the hills. That should help gas mileage a little bit too.

I may consider the smart car or Prius after this Camry dies.

Reply to
cpliu

Who wants to drive like an old liberal just to save a few cents a day?

Reply to
Sharx35

So, drive as you want to, and be prepared to pay for it...and it's a lot more than a few cents, Clyde. You're not gonna get there any sooner than I am, fool.

Reply to
mack