Heater Problems 90 Camry

The heater in my 1990 Camry only works about 1/3 of the time. Sometimes it works perfectly and then sometimes it feels like im running the AC (the Ac
works great btw) does anyone know what the problem would be?
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:27:59 -0500, GraemJohn wrote:

When was the last time you flushed/filled the cooling system? If it hasn't been for a while, I would take it to a decent garage/mechanic that has a REAL power flush machine and blow it out. You've probably got gunk 'circulating' in the cooling system and blocking the heater core (this is just a guess, BTW, based on 'experience'...)
A partly plugged heater core can cause driver shivers at very cold outside air temps yet seem to work OK at more moderate temps. Or could be one of the climate system doors not working or a bad heater control valve. Have someone flush the coolant system including the heater core, then go from there.
--
toyomoho
Check the diverter valve on the firewall infront of the driver in the engine compartment, be sure it moves completely. A good power cooling system flush is in order, and be sure to use distilled water

I had an 89 Camry, simalar problem, my Toyota service manager (the Dealership owners son) said the cause was likely the resistor element on the temperature slider lever. He suggested sliding the heat control all the way to hot and then back slightly to use a different part of the resistor element, OR he could order a new part for near $300 bucks. I chose the less costly option and it worked for more than a couple of years. He told me the heater control is almost all electronic, this was an LE with the push button controls.
Slim
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 07:30:24 +0000, Slim Pickings wrote:

You aren't near Greenfield, are you (course, I'm sure Jim wasn't the only owner's son who ran a service dept...but he sure was one of the BEST!)
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:42:18 GMT, Hachiroku ????

Nope, that was Steinbach, Manitoba.
Slim
Well it seems like most people i talk to recommend getting my cooling system flushed so i will try that first, thanks alot for you help