HELP! Can't remove rear wheels!

Tried removing the rear wheels on my 01 Camry for the first time today (been removed for rotations by the dealer often) and after taking the

5 lug nuts off and with the car on jack stands they won't budge. I put the car back on the ground with the lug nuts on loose and tried rocking the car quite a bit but to no avail. Are there any tricks to this that I am not aware of?

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

Reply to
Jetman5467

Hit 'em with a hammer? (Rubber mallet is best, esp if you have alloy wheels.)

And another hint: I haven't done this myself, but get some Anti-seize and coat the hub (no the disc brake rotors!!!!) with it and they will just slip off next time.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Reply to
Philip

Is your emergency brake set?

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OP says he "TRIED removing the rear wheels...." The Parking Brake applies against the brake drums/rotors ... not the wheel.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

D'oH! You're right. OP said 'wheels' and I saw 'drums'. Oops.

Revised suggestion: Back on jackstands without lug nuts, grab a short piece of softwood 2x4 and a hammer. Place the wood flat against the wheel and smack the wood with the hammer at various places around the outside of the rim. The shock should break the wheels loose from the drums.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

LOOSEN lug nuts about 2 TURNS and DRIVE the car WEAVING back and forth and making TURNS.

Even then my truck was SO STUCK I had to loosen the nuts til they were almost off and speed up and jam on the brakes resulting in a loud explosion sound.

Finally worked. Road salt and 2 winters on a new truck lost.

Put ANTISEIZE on the contact areas between the axle/drum and the rim - mainly around the hole in the rim where it contacts the axle.

NO problems since then.

Reply to
Conase

there

almost

mainly

Aye,...usually (and I haven't looked at the Camry) the rear axle-hub has an

*interference* fitting boss which jams in the wheel's central hole. The damn thing will just flex around the centre as you try to remove it.

Rust,....Mother Nature's version of welding.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James