unable to remove drums

I have a 03 Camry LE - 35K miles. Last weekend, I tried to inspect the rear drum brakes (nothing was wrong - just thought that it's about time to check the shoes and like, and perhaps do some clean up).

I did the followings (rear right wheel):

- jacked up the car, used a jackstand to support

- released the parking brake

- removed all the lug nuts and then removed the wheel

Then I tried to pull the drum. But it did not budge. Placed a wood block on the drum, and bang the block with a hammer several times. it didn't budge at all.

My Haynes manual suggests to remove the little rubber plug near the center, and to stick a scrawdriver in and do something to the adjuster inside. But the picture in the manual is small and fuzzy, and it does not have much description as to how this is done...

Can anyone shed some light as to how i remove the drum? Did I miss another (a clip, scraw, etc that needs to be removed first)

Reply to
tcl

The drum is probably just rusted to the hub. You shouldn't have to back the shoes off with the star wheel if the drum is spinning freely. If you look around the inside perimiter of the drum you should see one or two holes threaded for a 12mm bolt, but I forget the pitch at the moment. Thread s bolt in there, and it will pull the drum off the hub. Alternatively you can just whack it with a hammer, forget the wood. Smack the face of the drum a few times, and you should be good. Just watch out for any brake dust.

Reply to
qslim

It also helps to spray around the joint where the drum meets the axle with a good penetrating oil, like PB Blaster or Kroil. Dave

Reply to
davidj92