How exact should the trans fluid level be?

'99 Camry, 4-cyl, changed trans fluid. About 2 3/4 quarts came out, but I only had about 2 1/4 quarts of new stuff. Drove about a mile around the neighborhood, came back, and the level was somewhere in the middle of the COLD region. Is that ok? Should I stress about going to the store, buying more Dex 3, and add another 1/2 quart?

Reply to
Michael

Yup. If you drove it and then it was only in the COLD region it's too low.

You did check it in neutral with the engine running, right?

Reply to
hachiroku

.

Engine was running but in Park. It has to be in Neutral?

Come to think of it, it was 1/2 quart less than the *previous* level. It's possible the previous level may have been too high; there is this slow mystery oil leak in my garage that I thought was from a loose valve cover, but it's still dripping after I tightened those valve cover nuts. Looked under the car and the leak seems centered around the trans... hmm... I have to observe this. Still going to the store later on though...

Reply to
Michael

I wouldn't stress about it, but I'd stop at the store and get some fluid at the start of my next trip. If that will be after the stores have closed, I'd make a special trip. I always carry a quart of oil and a quart of xmission fluid in my trunk, ever since 1967 when my oil gauge was dipping to zero occaionsally in the middle of the night in the middle of Canada, between Detroit and London, Ontario, when I had to choose between stopping and waiting until there was traffic in the morning or plugging on 50 or 100 miles to a gas station. I, and my two passengers, did stop for a few minutes. Not an electric light in sight, the sky was the clearest I've ever seen, with thousands of stars. I didn't want to wait four hours so I drove on and I think the engine was fine. Had the '50 Olds with V-8 300cid for 2 more years.

They sell motor oil and transmission fluid at most supermarkets, btw, and maybe drugstores too, though I haven't checked any drugstores. I don't think they have xmission fluid for Chryslers, but they do have Dexron.

If the car shifts into gear and stays there, the major (only?) reason for needing more fluid to the proper level is aiui to keep the transmission at the proper temperature, cool enough. Driving a mile isn't going to overheat the transmission, but I'd put in the right amount befroe I went anywhere else.

Reply to
micky

I had a Chrysler Torqueflite transmission that would slip if it was even a pint below minimum. I learned this because the thing had a faulty dipstick.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Likely wasn't the only thing faulty.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Ok, thanks for the comments everyone. I got some more, and put in about 1/2 of a pint, then I think the dipstick said that was a little bit too much... go figure. But the car operates fine.

Today I changed the diff oil, thinking that was the cause of my mystery oil leak. That wasn't it... I think it's the trans pan gasket. That's gonna be especially fun, since the previous owner/ mechanic used some form-in-place gasket material over there...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I meant to say that transmission fluid is colored, red or something, and engine oil is just black. Also xmission fluid isn't as slick as engine oil.

Reply to
micky

Yeah it's red when new, but I couldn't quite place this liquid. It doesn't really have any smell to it. Engine oil has this nice-ish smell, trans oil has this nasty-ish smell, well at least new trans oil does...

When I went down there, yeah, the trans gasket looks like it's seeping the stuff, but when I looked up, I saw more oil, so maybe I have two leaks? Sigh... such is life. Ah, well I shouldn't complain. At least I have a car. Some folks aren't so fortunate.

Reply to
Michael

Anything measured with a dipstick is not an exact science. The level of the fluid being measured only needs to be more than minimum and less than maximum. It the case of motor oil, the stick measures the difference by 1 full quart (or liter, depending on the market). When the stick shows the level at or below the minimum, then a single full quart/liter should be added and then check again. If the level is anywhere between the two marks, then stop adding.

I forget the measurement of the transmission dipstick, but it should be given someplace. When I was a kid, it was also measuring full quarts for all cars but Ford. Fords took a different type of fluid that was sold in half-quarts, and the dipstick measured for the package that the fluid came in.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Goiod point. You have a car AND a project. That's better than just a car.

Reply to
micky

Like what? The car went another 50,000 miles without problems, and then I sold it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Chryslers aren't known for their bullet-proof transmissions, although I have had 3 Caravan/Grand Voyagers and an LHS that have had no problems, although one of the Grand Voyagers had had a remanu'd trans put in it.

Using the right fluid is the key. If it SAYS ATF+3, USE ATF+3, right?

Still kick myself occasionaly for trading the LHS for $600...

Reply to
hachiroku