How to Change engine oil in home

I just bought a 1999 toyota camry. The engine oil was black. it seems that the engine oil need to be replaced as soon as possible. By reading the posts here, I decided switch to a syenthetic oil which is better than the mineral oil. I bought Mobile 1. How can I change oil by myself? Can anybody here give me some graph or detailed instruction? Where can I find the oil displacement valve? I am a new toyota camry owner, I need your generous help.

Reply to
songlaigang

There is an oil drain plug underneath the car. Check the owners manual for details. You also need to change the oil filter.

If you don't have an owners manual, go to your library and see if you can find information in a Chilton's, or other car repair manual.

Reply to
Mark A

I coulda sworn snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com typ'd:

Easy-peasy. Drain out the old oil, replace the old filter, put in then new oil.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan; remove to drain and then reinstall. The oil filter is on the side of the engine; remove the old one and spin on the new, tightening until hand tight. The fill hole is on the top of the engine; fill until the dipstick shows full.

There is no such thing that I know of.

See above.

-Don (feeling generous)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Dont take out the trans plug, easy to do the oil but if you must ask have a pro do it and watch the first time.

Reply to
m Ransley

After you change your oil this time, change it again after 200mi. Wait another 200mi and change it again. After that every 3-5 thousand mi. This will clean your motor up. I've heard of things getting clogged up after switching to synthetic in a dirty motor.

-hbuck

Reply to
hbuck

Thank you so much! I appreciate your answers so much. I will have a try.

Reply to
songlaigang

Additional suggestions: Get a supply of oil drain plug gaskets, and use a new one each time. They're inexpensive and help insure against leaks. Get an oil fitler "cap" wrench to fit your filter. Goes over the top of the filter and you loosen with a ratchet handle and extention. If you're doing your own oil changes, let it drain for at least 45 minutes before removing the filter. Over night is even better. Gets more old oil out, and less mess when removing the filter. I too, agree, do a couple of short mileage conventional oil changes first before changing to synthetic. May want to check auto-rx.com also.

Reply to
Daniel

This is very good advice! You could wind up with clogged lifters if you don't change it several times at first. I found that out the hard way with an old Plymouth.

Reply to
IBNFSHN