How to compute mileage (mpg)?

At least in California you never actually see the gas until it blows back on you, and even then it isn't necessarily up to the top of the neck. I fill to the automatic stop and then nudge it in until it stops again or reaches a 0 or

5 cent mark (I pay cash) or it blows back. Sometimes I've put in as much as a whole gallon after the automatic stop.
Reply to
The Real Bev
1 fill up 2 when gas gauge gets down to 3/4 mark on level ground set trip meter to
  1. when gauge hits 1/4 tank mark, write down trip meter mileage.
4 You used 1/2 half tank. 5 Divide the mileage by how many gallons in a half tank on your car and you get your miles per gallon.
Reply to
hbuck

After the auto shutoff I pull the nozzle out partway, just crack the lever a bit to slowly fill the neck, so there is no great flow to splash back. However, most pumps here in Minn. do not have that big outer recovery envelope, so it is easy to see into filler neck. Yeah, I'd probably have problems with those big envelope fillers.

Reply to
Don Stauffer