Toyota Camry '98: Airconditioner Check

I just found that the air-conditioner of my '98 Toyota Camry CE is not working. I turned switch to COLD(blue), fan to HIGH and turned on the AC switch. I could get the fan working fine, AC switch indicates ON, air is blowing in through the vents, but not COLD.

Someone told me that it might be a very minor problem like leaking of the refrigerant gas. Filling refrigerant is cheaper than replacing any major parts like compressor or something else in the airconditioing system.

How can I check that the refrigerant already been leaked. How could I get the indication that the compressor is working. Is there any other owner check I could perform confirming that the refrigerant to be filled.

Please give your expert suggestion to avoid getting cheated by the dealer or any garage.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jamilur_rahman

an honest mechanic you know is your best choise

Reply to
m Ransley

For once I'm with Ransley. You really need to go to a shop you trust. Ask around if you don't already have a shop. unless you're an A/C guy it makes no sense to buy the equipment needed.

Reply to
Hopkins

Generally, you find the "low pressure switch" and jump it with a paper clip with the car running and the AC on. If the compressor starts turning, you know the basic problem is low pressure. This still doesn't address where the

134 went to but generally, this is a place to start.
Reply to
Steve