How to remove center console on '98 Camry???

I have three repair manuals for my 1998 Toyota Camry, but the body manual isn't one of them.

I'm trying to figure out how to access the shift mechanism in the center console. It has an automatic transmission. The shifter is getting a little stiff so I want to lube it.

I don't see any screws. So I'm guessing it just pulls apart, but I don't really know.

Does anyone here know how to tear apart the center console on a '98 Camry?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Bruce W.1

I don't have a 98 but on my 94 there are 2 screws under the little mat at the bottom of the bin at the rear of the console, and 2 more under the narrow bezel rim around the shift lever. To remove the bezel first I gently pry it up starting from the rear edge.

Then for the front half of the console there are 2 retaining screws in plain sight on each side. The rest of it is merely snap in and out.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
whitefamily1