idle speeds for the '99 Camry

What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when warm?

Reply to
Michael

Ah, it's a 4. It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. What to do to fix?

Reply to
Michael

Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.

Reply to
Leftie

Mine going back to 84 have always stayed about 600-700 warm 7-800 cold, When its cold oil is thickest and thats when rpm needs to stay low as on startup oil cant circulate, its to thick at extreme temps. To high an rpm and the oil bypass valve will open and circulate dirty oil. Ive seen motors ruined from being raced at high rpm in the first few minutes of startup from starvation. Its not as bad these days with

0-30 and 5-30 synthetics, but back in the 70s when 15-30 was commonly used it was a big issue. If mine dont idle at near 6-700 warm I have them fixed. The Idle air Control?
Reply to
ransley

If it's cold out I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it drops back to normal when warm. If you don't like that 'lurch' when shifting into Drive, then do it with your foot off (but still above!) the brake pedal. This will let the car move forward and absorb the extra jolt instead of transmitting it through the body.

Reply to
Leftie

1800 at -20 oil will most likey open the bypass valve, its equal to 60 mph, would you take a frozen motor will oil as thick as molases and immediatly drive 60 mph, many do, I dont and my motors last. High rpm for the first few minutes of operation is bad at -20 it can take a minute to curculate oil, think about the piston-cilinder walls, google Cold startup oil starvation.
Reply to
ransley

Idles at ~600 when warm. We live in sunny CA where the coldest it gets is maybe 40F in the morning. Will see what I can do to drop the cold idle...

Reply to
Michael

Yet another reason to stop cheaping out and to use synthetic oil. Instantly circulates no matter how cold.

Reply to
Sharx35

What is normal for v4 engine, mine stand on 1000

Reply to
jossytech4u