inflating tires

Can anyone recommend a good tire inflator? I'd prefer to not use something that plugs into the cig. lighter. Thanks

Reply to
aagrttxs

================= I use something that plugs into the cigarette lighter, even though I have a separate air compressor because the larger compressor accumulates some moisture during use that has to be drained daily whereas the smaller ciagarette lighter driven air compressor does not accumulate any moisture. Probably a minor consideration though. I used to use a small foot pump and those worked fine. If you have an air compressor, there are also storage tanks available so whether you're using your own compressor or from a local service station, you can store enough air to fill tires many times. Small foot pump is cheaper though. Best idea is to get an accurate dial gauge also.

Daniel

What's the reason you don't like the cig. lighter?

I use a 12V jump-start battery pack to power my inflator. Makes the wires easier to deal with...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Home Depot has a couple of portable electric (120V) air compressors (on wheels) that are reasonably small and sell for about $75-$90. They can also be used for small air driven shop tools and paint sprayers. I bought one and my only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

Reply to
Mark A

=============== Couple more thoughts on checking tire pressure. I've made a habit of checking engine oil (plus visual check of coolant and brake fluid) and tire pressure every Saturday morning. This past Saturday, right front was 10 lbs. low. Lifted the car, turned the tire, found a nail in the tread and was able to have it repaired that morning. Contrast the alternate scenario. I needed to take someone to the airport for an 8:44 AM flight Sunday morning. With 2 hour advance requirement, that meant leaving at around

5:30 AM (allow for parking), (and we needed all those two hours - after waiting in line, and clearing security, we got them boarded at exactly the right time. So, the tire runs lower on air, since it's an hour drive to the airport, it overheats and damages the tire, and or the aluminum wheel, plus then I need to change a tire at the side of the freeway in the dark, and have the added time pressure of trying to make a flight. So I'm quite grateful that simple maintenance routine saved me a lot of trouble.
Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
aagrttxs