Instrumentation Lighting

Hello all, I have a 90' Camry DX with about 274,000 miles on the odometer and it runs great still! But, the lighting for the instrumentation is really poor. I can hardly see the gas gauge. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the bulb or will I have to purchase an entirely new panel to have better lighting. Also, the fan speed control does not work until I select the second from the highest setting. Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced that is easy to get to? I will have to have my AC checked as well. When I hit the AC button, the light comes on but no cool air comes out. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Reply to
Savalas

And I was told I present hard problems!

Actually, these aren't hard, just not easy.

First, you can replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster, Before we do that, are ALL the guages dim? If so, it may be the rheostat, or the 'dimmer' control, which is almost as difficult.

Rempove the knob, and you will see a retaining nut. Loosen the nut and push the shaft through the dash. It's a long stretch; I hope you have long arms!

There are a few things you can do. Replacing is the easiest but most costly. You can probably get one from a boneyard cheap. I think they are the same for 99% of Toys. But I would try this first. Go to Radio Shack or another Electronics supply store and get some "Contact c;eaner". Spray inside the can liberally and move the shaft left to right about 100 times, and spray again (well, maybe not 100, you get the idea!). Spray again. move it again and let it dry.

BEFORE we go to the trouble of reassembling, in a garage or somewhere you can see the guage cluster when it's lit, turn on the lights and turn the shaft. If it brightens up, we've solved this problem. If it doesn't get as bright as you recall, you need a new one. As you can now see, all you have to do is unclip the connector and clip on a new one.

If this didn't solve it, I would go back to the boneyard and get a whole instrument cluster. Call around, they'll range from $25-100! Since this appears to be global, I don't believe it's the bulbs, but a trace on the printed circuit that is going bad.

To remove the intrument cluster, lower the wheel all the way down if you have tilt. This will be a LOT easier if you loosen the two bolts holding the wheel to the dash; support the sterring column when you do this!

At the top of the instrument cluster you'll see 3-4 screws holding the shroud in. Remove these and carefully pull the shroud out. Now you'll see a number of gold/brass colored screws holding the instrument cluster. Remove these and pull the cluster out carefully! When you get to where you can see behind it, remove the connectors from behind the cluster. They will only install one way, so no need to mark them.

The bulbs are located in the 'twisty' things; to remove them turn them to the left, and to the right to install.

Depending on which type you have, you MAYbe able to pull the bul and replace it, probably not. You'll need whole new asseblies, bulb and carrier from Toyota or AutoZone, etc. You CAN pull the bulb and replace it, but that means the wires may not make contact, and only Gumbies like me use this method! Install the bulbs or swap the cluster as required.

For your fan, I hope you're a contorsionist! What we're going to have to do here is crawl up under the passenger's side dash, behind the glove box. You'll see a round black assy with three 10mm bolts. This is the fan blower. You have to get in there and loosen the bolts to get the fan motor out; it can be done without removing the dash if you have the patience of Job (I don't...this is an aggravating job!). It helps if you have a short socket or a short socket and a swivel adapter.

Pull the bottom off once you get the bolts out. You should see three pieces of wire that look like springs. One or two of these have gone bad. You can either replace the resistor pack, or just get another whole assy from the boneyard (from a low mileage car!) and replace it. You're probably due for brushes inside the fan motor, if this has never been replaced; thisis a really tough job, and although I do it, you're bettr off replacing the whole fan assy. Reasemble opposite the way you disassembled.

As for your AC, I have now gotten to where i roll my windows down. On a car this old, you'll wind up replacing the whole AC system for $800-1400.

Good luck! Hope you're not doing anything tommorow and part of Sunday!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Matthew