Low idle speed. Bad IAC?

Can someone confirm my diagnosis before I change my IAC valve?

I own a 99 Camry 4 cylinder. Recently it's had tendency to stall from low idle speed immediately after starting. When it does this I need to hold the gas pedal down a bit for a few seconds till it would idle on its own. It was doing this only after sitting long enough to cool down a bit but not completely cold. Now it is doing it even when cold and I have to hold the gas down for several minutes before it will idle on its own.

I believe this to be caused by a sticking IAC valve which is fairly easy to change but I wanted to see if anyone would confirm this before I do so.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Brian

Reply to
Rick Weiss

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rick Weiss being of bellicose mind posted:

What's your adversion to -cleaning- the IAC?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

No real aversion to cleaning it. I was expecting to need new IAC and Throttle Body gaskets so I was going to pick up a new IAC valve at the same time.

Reply to
Rick Weiss

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rick Weiss being of bellicose mind posted:

Oh. Bring MONEY.

Reply to
Philip®

Yeah, I just read another post referencing a $210 price tag for the IAC valve. I read of several failed cleaning attempts that ended in replacement of the valve to cure the problem. Have you any tips for cleaning it? Remove it first or clean it somehow while its on the car?

Reply to
Rick Weiss

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rick Weiss being of bellicose mind posted:

Personally, I prefer to clean IACs and throttle bodys OFF THE CAR. Reason ... I do not wish to risk fouling the O2 sensor(s) nor the A/F sensor (located after the catalyst & ... much more expensive).

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Philip, Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll try cleaning it this weekend if I can get a break in the weather.

Reply to
Rick Weiss