Maintenance for 95 Camry with low mileage

I have a 95 Toyota Camry (4 cyl.), which only has 40,000 miles on it now (after 11 years of driving--only about 3500 miles/year). I'm wondering whether I need to have the timing belt replaced now or soon. It's supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles, but I'm not sure if the age of the car means it should be replaced much sooner. I've called a few highly recommended auto repair places that work on Toyotas, and some say I don't need to replace the timing belt and some say I do--and say other things should be done at the same time (e.g., new water pump, oil pump seals, etc.). The way I drive (living close to work, etc.), I probably won't get to 60,000 until the car is 15 years old! But I may wind up buying a new car (almost certainly another Camry--or a Prius) before then anyway.

I've never been sure whether to follow the Toyota and/or dealer-recommended maintenance intervals based on miles or months or something in between. I've had the radiator flushed and filled, and the transmission drained and filled, and had to get new CV boots, but that's about it except for routine lubes and oil changes and tire rotations. I live in Silicon Valley and everything here is expensive, so I've gotten estimates of about $400-600 for replacing the timing belt (the higher cost includes the water pump), plus any other work that should be done. I'm also about to try one of several new repair shops, so I'm nervous about being talked into more work than I need.

From the research I've done, it appears that the engine in the CAmry

won't be damaged if the timing belt fails (unlike in Hondas), so it would be a question of possibly being stranded or having the car suddenly stop on the freeway if I wait until it breaks to replace it. What do you all think about doing the timing belt replacement and what else should be done now at 40,000 but 11 years, etc.? TIA for any replies.

Reply to
marilano

Look at the belt and see, with those miles I would not do the extras. It wont hurt the motor if it breaks. I would wait another year for the belt if it looks good now.

Reply to
m Ransley

I think the pre 97s didn't have a replacement schedule. They call for inspections at 60K miles and may not even include the number of years. But it was common practice on a 5-year/60K-miles schedule.

It's a good idea to do a visual on the belt: make sure there are no signs of wear on the face/teeth and edges of the belt, no oil on the belt from leaking seals, the back of the belt should not be shiny (indicating bearing, pump pulley seizing).

If you do have the timing belt changed, it's better to have the seals, pulleys, and water pump changed at the same time. However, dealer coupon for timing belt only is about $170. Which is probably not that much higher than a straight inspection.

I am not sure I want the engine to quit (even without damage) on busy bay area streets/highways.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I have a 95 Toyota Camry (4 cyl.), which only has 40,000 miles on it

Reply to
johngdole