Manual Transmission-"clutch problems"

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder, with a 5 speed transmission that will not go into gear when car is started. I can put the car in 1st gear when it is not running and when I turn the key while it is gear it will move forward. The clutch resevoir was empty of fluid and I refilled it, but it still does the same thing. I am assuming that the master cylinder is bad (leaks), but and not sure. I do not see any obvious leaks. I am capable of fixing the problem if I am sure of the problem. Any suggestions?

Reply to
dmtsilverado

If the clutch reservoir was empty you have a leaking slave or master cylinder. You can't just refill it you have to blead the system just like breaks if they go dry from no fluid. I'd suspect the slave cylinder or damaged line to it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

These things have hydraulic clutches; a master cylinder mounted to the firewall next to the brake booster and a slave cylinder mounted to the tranny.

If it's leaking at the master, the inside floor of the car will be covered with brake fluid.

If it's the slave, press the clutch in the driveway and look for a stain about midships under tha car.

Master ~$65 at CarQuest, slave ~$40. Slave is easy, master is a little more difficult due to placement and the rod that connects to the clutch.

If the reservior is empty, or near, you most likely have a leak; fill it and watch it.

Reply to
Hachiroku