clutch problems

I was driving my 95 civic ex down corporate blvd the other day, and i stopped at a light. When i tried to shift into 1st, my car wouldn't go into any gear. After a little bit of fooling with the clutch and the shifter it finally went into gear and i drove off. About a mile later i was pulling into a left turn lane and tried to downshift, and couldn't put the car into gear. I had to push my car out of the intersection then i got it towed to my father-in-law's house.

I still can't put the car into any gear. We've already replaced the clutch master cylinder, bled the system, etc. When i push down on the clutch the thing connected to the slave cylinder moves about 1/2 inch, but the clutch is not getting engaged/disengaged at all. I can put the car into gear when the engine isn't running, and then if i start it then the car lurches forward, stalls, and dies.

At first we thought it was the hydraulic system because my reservoir was almost dry and the master cylinder looked like it was in bad shape. But now it seems like thats functioning properly.

So, i guess what i'm asking is, do i need to replace my clutch, or are there other things i should be checking?

Reply to
Zachary Byerly

--------------------------------------

I think you haven't got it bled properly, since the slave should have a throw of more than 1/2". There must be some air in the system still.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

As mentioned, make sure it's bled properly, make sure the slave cylinder isn't leaking. The empty reservoir suggests you are on the right track.

Reply to
JeB

i hate to say it because its a big job but, if your master/slave cyl and hydraulic lines are functioning properly the next item on the list is you release bearing.

Reply to
JHLorusso