Mid-'90's Camry V-6's oil leaks

I have been looking at numerous 1992-1996 V-6 Camrys for sale. On a couple I have noticed oil leaks on the back side of the motor (side next to firewall) the exact origin of which is difficult to pinpoint without a light, mirror, or having the car up on a lift. One I looked at leaked bad enough to have a pretty strong odor in the cab, and when I lifted the hood, I was greeted by wisps of white smoke.

Anyways, has anybody dealt with this issue? Is it likely to just be a 'valve cover gasket', or are there other, more major issues that could cause this problem? Getting into the head, etc., on the back side of a V-6 could get spendy, due to inaccesability, etc. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
billz410

My father's 87 had a rear seal go bad pretty early on. Distributor O ring leaks also common.

Reply to
Art

My guess would be valve cover gasket. I've got the mid 90's 4 cylinder. Replaced the vavle cover gasket once. No problem, then couple weeks ago, noticed a tiny bit of seepage again, and re torqued the hold down nuts which were loose. They had also been loose the first time I replaced the gasket.

Reply to
Daniel
3 possiblities come to my mind. 1. Distributor O ring(cheap) 2. Valve cover seals(more expensive)3. Rear main seal(my 1990 V6 needed this most expensive)
Reply to
Rob

try

'96 v6 took care of my rear main seal and valve cover gaskets and power steering leak

140,000 miles
Reply to
scott