v-6 spark plugs 97 camry

Does anyone know how to change the rear bank of spark plugs in a 97 v-6 camry

Reply to
specialkkl

Oooohh, I just did mine on a 94 V6, and that does not have the individual coil on top of each spark plug like yours does. It was still difficult.

I removed the centre bolt from the rear lower engine mount eye, and the top torque control rod from above the timing belt housing, and jacked the engine carefully up and forwards about 20-30 mm measured at the mounting. After then removing the spark plug wire loom clips, this gave me just enough room to gain access. I used a socket spanner extension with a universal joint on the socket to get down the spark plug recesses, and a length of plastic hose to grip onto the spark plug top.

Take careful note of the routing of each plug wire, and replace them as they were in their clips, to prevent cross-fire leakage of the current.

--
Geoff

I answered this same question to you on your 10/25/2004 post.

did you read it??

-- EL FORY - "I still have the sun to kiss your shadow"

Reply to
EL FORY

mebbe it'll git easier if he asks enough times "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto" ;)

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Your response was I did it on my 94. Once you get the right tools it is easy. You call that a response. And pheasant (nice name) your a loser with no life.Go play with your keyboard.

Reply to
Anonymous

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH!!!!

He called me a bad name!!!!!!!!

First you got the wrong poster you quoted initially, then whine when they call you on the same post? At least I'm a loser that can replace plugs in my 97 XLE.

YOU go play with your keyboard and pay someone to do your car work.

FROAD

Reply to
pheasant

I can speak about my experience on a 95 but don't know if it is applicable to the 97. I found it not such a big chore.

Each cylinder has a coil. Removed those. Then used a 3/8 socket wretch. I used two u-joint (is that the right terminology?) extenders. It wasn't so hard at all and I didn't have to jack the engine. I was able to get a cheapy needle torque wretch in to tighten to the right torque.

One thing that I found which I wonder if it is an engineering flaw is the plastic in electrical connectors to the coils on the front side of the engine were extremely brittle. I theorize that the cover that sits on top of the engine (ornamentation?) reflects back the heat from the engine resulting in high temperatures on the front connectors. One just fell apart. It was still possible to get the wires connected but it is not locked and snapped together.

I talked to a Toyota dealer mechanic who had seen the problem. He stated that what they did in those situations was to just tape the wires on. The alternative was to replace the engine wiring harness (which involves gobbs and gobbs of connectors and wires - $1000K for the part!).

I tried several sources and could never just the wire connectors. Some one suggested going to the used auto parts junk shop and buying up used ones (not from the front side of the engine).

Reply to
kiselink

I've changed a bunch of these but never in anything older than a 1997. I haven't seen a single connector for the front coils fail or even crack. It's possible your engine is overheating or has overheated in the past.

Keep in mind you will have to get front connectors only because the rear ones are different.

Reply to
Rog

As the only owner of the vehicle, I know for a fact that the car has never claimed (via a guage or indicator) that it was overheated. The coolant has been replaced on a scheduled basis.

If the engine had overheated, I would expect uniformity between the front and rear connectors which there is not.

My guess is that the ornamental plastic cover that sits on top of the engine encourages heat buildup just locally in the front coil area.

Same connectors. On the 95, there are six coils - each coil sits on top of one plug. I believe on newer models, there are three coils, each coil supports two plugs. So the newer models, I presume the power supply to the coil would be different than the connection from the coil to the remote plug.

Perhaps many people don't change their plugs and therefore don't become knowledgeable. Also, the dealers might not want to deal with the problem and just through it together without informing the customer.

When I changed the platinum plugs, the plugs showed virtually no wear.

On the newer models, are the coils in the front of then engine and is there a cover over the coils?

Reply to
kiselink

There sure is.

Reply to