mufflers, '96 camry / '99 camry?

The mufflers on my '96 (and on my wife's '99) do their job very well. Too well, maybe. When the engine's on, you almost have to look at the tachometer to see if the engine's running, because the engine's so quiet.

For those of us who can tolerate a little more noise, would a slightly louder muffler also give greater engine performance (reduced backpressure, etc.?) I've heard there's a trade-off between engine horsepower and muffler noise reduction...

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

sorry, not a very definitive answer, but I'll only state that I trust the Toyota Motor Company to engineer their products a whole lot better than the guy at the local peppertree muffler shop might indicate. Leave the exhaust system alone and be happy that the engine is as silent as it is.

Reply to
mack

If you buy a cheap muffler, it may just be louder with the same back pressure. But clearly, if you put a performance muffler on your car, then your theory would be true.

TRD sells a performance muffler for the Camry V6 '97-'01 (PTR19-33970-04).

See

for more info, or search for other suppliers. It is not going to be cheap, though.

Reply to
Mark A

TRD, huh. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

has a kit for 4.7L Tundras. You can contact them with your questions and see if their 60 series will work. But TRD is plug and play. But I wouldn't know about just "a little more noise" with these but Flowmaster can tell you.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I certainly wouldn't want to violate any local laws re: neighborhood noise. :-)

Thanks for the information, guys.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett