Tacoma Exhaust

Just a question about exhaust systems for a 03 Tacoma with the 2.7L engine. NOBODY makes a cat back system other than Borla. Borla is great and all but I don't want to have to refinance my house again to get it. My stock system is fine but I would like to free up the breathing of the truck some more. I have already installed an FIPK system by K& N filters and it works great but I want more. Any help? Sound is important also. I know I'm dealing with a

4 cylinder but a little bit more sound would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Glynn

THESE 2 GO TOGETHER WELL AND WILL FIT IN 48" SPACE

Magnaflow

12645 6" round case, 2.25" in/out/core, 18" core length

Walker's Dynomax Thrush #WLK-24205 perforated glasspack

2.25" core, 26" core length, 3.5" round case (summit racing)

TRUE OPEN EXHAUST without all the noise, inexpensive, local muffler shop can install for about $50.

the glasspack in front of the magnaflow, both go after the 2nd cat. i have this setup and it's nice, probably better than what borla has to offer and a boat load cheaper !!

Reply to
Kryptoknight

more info on my quest for a better exhaust:

i was out to replace the oem muffler with something better. however, almost any "turbo" muffler is better than the oem muffler. i am planning to put on a Alpine supercharger, header, and new cams in an effort to hit the 225hp mark on my 3Rz engine.

fully open exhaust was the only way to go. i looked at Spintech, Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Magnaflow. after reviewing each for sound qualities, they all had the same issue, loud. i was after a quiet system while getting open exhaust performance.

i then started reading about resonators (pre-silencers). a true tuned resonator (helmholtz) is just like a glasspack muffler, except that there is no packing and it is tuned to destroy sound. there are no off-the-shelf true resonators for my Taco 3Rz, so i had to figure a way to get most sound supression in a open exahust.

the best way to do this is to use the longest possible muffler you can. i then found the Walker "thrush" 2.25" glasspack (perforated, not louvered). this would server as a resonator into the muffler. i found that the Magnaflow had the best price (all 4 basically function the same).

i bought a Magnaflow #12645 for $85 shipped, and a Thrush #WLK-24205 for $23 shipped. together they form a ~48" "glasspack" type muffler. i had a local Midas shop install it for $42 (just a muffler swap, no piping needed). total cost $150.

i was skeptical to what sound i was gonna get. i did not want that droning sound while cruising, and i certainly did not want that chainsaw sound like many of these matchbox cars have for attention. i was after no noise with maximum performance.

i think i hit the perfect combo. the sound (all in cab) at idle is no diff than oem, and perhaps a tad quieter. cruising was also very quiet (4th @

65mph, and 5th @ 90mph), about the same as oem sound perhaps only slightly louder. the only small sound diff was accelerating (only a tad louder than the oem).

was there a performance increase?? yes, but not of the "WOW" type.

i'll suggest this type of setup to anyone looking for a quiet open exhaust.

Reply to
Kryptoknight