Musty AC smell

My 97 Camry a/c has a musty smell when starting and it continues all the time. I have tried Ozium spray in the vents but to no avail..Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim1934

Reply to
jim1934

The problem is particularly bad in that generation of Camry. Later ones have fungicide epoxy coated on the evaporator.

But if the spray didn't work then it may be your cam/crank seal and/or water pump leaking. Do you have this smell when you open the door first thing in the morning? I did and I've managed to rid what I thought was the foul smell after replacing the said parts in a timing belt job, realizing afterward it's either the oem seals or the Aisin pump. Needless to say, I've always liked Fel-pro seals and NAPA Airtex pumps.

jim1934 wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole

Mold or fungus can be easily killed with spraying household bleach , but you need to find where it is growing such as on the Ac coil, Air fresheners just hide smells. A partialy clogged condensate drain will hold water making mold grow faster.

Reply to
m Ransley

Once read someone had success with eliminating odor from mold or fungus growth in the ductwork by running the heater controls at full heat for

8-10 minutes.
Reply to
Daniel

Once read someone had success with eliminating odor from mold or fungus growth in the ductwork by running the heater controls at full heat for

8-10 minutes. You can minimize recurrence by turning off A/C and leaving fan on, then driving several blocks before shutting off the engine.
Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
jim1934