Musty AC smell

My 97 Camry a/c has a musty smell when starting and it continues all the time. I have tried Ozium spray in the vents but to no avail..Any suggestions will be
appreciated.
Jim1934
The problem is particularly bad in that generation of Camry. Later ones have fungicide epoxy coated on the evaporator.
But if the spray didn't work then it may be your cam/crank seal and/or water pump leaking. Do you have this smell when you open the door first thing in the morning? I did and I've managed to rid what I thought was the foul smell after replacing the said parts in a timing belt job, realizing afterward it's either the oem seals or the Aisin pump. Needless to say, I've always liked Fel-pro seals and NAPA Airtex pumps.
jim1934 wrote:

Many thanks..
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If it's fungus, when you spray the ventilation system you should also include the evaporator and housing. Haynes repair manual has some description of it. That where the moisture is and fungus loves it.
jim1934 wrote:

Mold or fungus can be easily killed with spraying household bleach , but you need to find where it is growing such as on the Ac coil, Air fresheners just hide smells. A partialy clogged condensate drain will hold water making mold grow faster.
Thanks for your input.
m Ransley wrote:

jim1934 wrote:

====================Once read someone had success with eliminating odor from mold or fungus growth in the ductwork by running the heater controls at full heat for 8-10 minutes.
Thanks I tried this and it helps,also during 100 degree heat.Not quite there yet. Daniel wrote:

jim1934 wrote:

====================Once read someone had success with eliminating odor from mold or fungus growth in the ductwork by running the heater controls at full heat for 8-10 minutes. You can minimize recurrence by turning off A/C and leaving fan on, then driving several blocks before shutting off the engine.
Thanks for all the suggestions,aqnd I will try them until the smell is gone,Thanks to all who replied.