04 Camry LE musty smell

It seems like when the car is parked in the sun on these hot days, like at work, when I start out and open the windows there will be this musty smell for about a minute, that it goes away. I don't use the A/C very much so I do think it is condensation. Today when I left work I left the windows closed and turned the fan on without the A/C, there was no smell until I opened the windows. There does not seem to be the smell in the morning, but I do not open the windows in the morning, just use the fan.

Any ideas what it might be, and what does opening the windows have to do with it.

Thanks

Tony Marsillo

Tony Marsillo

Best guess is mildew somewhere....or a dead rodent!

Opening the windoe does two things: exposes a new area (the doors via the small crack where the window slides) and allows fresh air to move more easily through the ventilation system.

Since you said you did not smell it until opening the window, I'm betting something is going on inside the door. Try this: leave the ventilation system on Recircultae and turn on the air. Then open the window! If you don't smell it until opening the window again, something's up in the door. Either you got some moisture in there and something (leaves, etc) has collected in the door, *or*.....something took up housekeeping in there and got stuck with no means of support, and is returning to the ashes it was formed of!

Um....I'm betting the latter...

One other thing. Are your seatbelts dry? For some reason the belts in my Celica get wet and when I put the driver's side on it stinks just like that for a while...

Good luck!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Was the car rustproofed after factory. Drain holes were probably plugged during the process and the car doors are holding water.

at

smell

I do

closed