need new radio antenna - '96 Camry Sedan, non-motorized

Mine got ripped off (long story).

Any pointers on where I can find a replacement, how to do it, etc? The turboninjas.com/camry link only has info on the motorized version or the window-antenna. I have (had?) the non-motorized Camry antenna.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I found one for our wagon on Ebay. You should be able to find one there too. Don't forget to check the seller's feedback and rating.

Reply to
mjc1

Fairly simple. Unscrew the trim piece at the top of the antenna carefully to avoid paint damage. I used a Simpson galvanized steel framing reinforcement piece from the Home Improvement store to find a straight edge that would grasp the indents. You need to remove the carpeting inside the trunk on the right side. I have a pry tool with a "V" shaped end, curved like a claw hammer to make removing the plastic press in stays easier. Once you're at the antenna inside the trunk should be simple to disconnect the antenna feed, unbolt and reinstall. As you may know, I use only Toyota parts, but the Parts Manager gives me a price break. That way this is the only thing that breaks :?) Car looks and drives like new at 170k mi.

Reply to
Daniel

My antenna is at the front, by the driver's side.

Still go with the Trunk?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

You mean on the roof? We have one of those, but I didn't have to replace that one. I think the other poster was referring to the more common trunk-mounted power antenna.

Reply to
mjc1

Oh it's more common? didn't know that.

My Haynes is really skimpy on the detail of the antenna.

Mine snapped off when a ball on a string, tied to my garage, wrapped around it... and the garage door opened...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ouch. If it's anything like my '86 Civic (same configuration, anyway) then you remove a couple of screws on the roof mount, detach the antenna cable, pull it out and up off the roof, then thread the new cable down and reverse the procedure. Make sure the gasket and sealing surface are clean and in good shape. You may want to try pulling a string up with the old cable, then using it to pull the new cable down. I suggest you verify this with a dealer, though.

Reply to
mjc1

Junk yard. The better ones will send someone with you and pull whatever part you need. And then you just watch what they do.

Reply to
Hopkins

Sounds good... thanks...

Michael