Need ball type antenna

OK, so I've run into my first problem!

The antenna on this thing is busted. It's the one-hole ball type with the spring. It appears to be one complete piece from the mast all the way to where the ball screws on.

I know I can get the upside down triangle or some other kind but I would kind of like to use the original type if I can find it.

I deja-googled the newsgroups and I see that some people have found this at the dealer, but now the dealer is saying it is "no longer available". At least in my area.

So does anyone know or have any ideas on where I can get this thing? If you have one or are able to get one, I will pay for it and the cost to ship it.

Again, this is for a '76 CJ7 Thanks

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Radioshack. Not all stores will stock it so call first. You can also check at the local truck stop. I bought my mount at radio shack but picked up the spring at my local Pilot.

MB

Reply to
mb

What does Radioshack call it? Just "car antenna" or something? Are you sure we are talking about the same kind of antenna? How can you get the spring on by itself? It looks like the whole thing is one piece that can not be separated. The bottom of the mast (the part on the small end of the spring) looks like it could be removed but it doesn't. Here is what my antenna looks like:

Jay Stuler

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bingo! The dude at the dealer parts store told me it was original though. I wasn't too sure about that myself. But $45! Maybe somebody else can find one that is cheaper?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Oh I forgot to ask, what DOES the original one look like, and where can I get one? It's not that upside down triangle is it?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

This is the first I have looked in on this thread, since it lasted this long I looked in. I have the exact same antenna as is pictured in Bill's link, I replace it often, and always find a replacement in the first or second Checker (Kragen), or Autozone that I visit. It's usually about 15 bucks, but replacing from the half ball up is worth the price, better than running new cable

| > What does Radioshack call it? Just "car antenna" or something? | > Are you sure we are talking about the same kind of antenna? How can you get | > the spring on by itself? It looks like the whole thing is one piece that | > can not be separated. The bottom of the mast (the part on the small end of | > the spring) looks like it could be removed but it doesn't. | > Here is what my antenna looks like: | >

Fennidh

BTW I do get the coil loaded version for that price.

| | > What does Radioshack call it? Just "car antenna" or | something? | | > Are you sure we are talking about the same kind of | antenna? How can you get | | > the spring on by itself? It looks like the whole thing | is one piece that | | > can not be separated. The bottom of the mast (the part | on the small end of | | > the spring) looks like it could be removed but it | doesn't. | | > Here is what my antenna looks like: | | >

| |

Reply to
Fennidh

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

We had this discussion a while back. It would seem they put two different ones on, maybe depending on the year or the supplier that year?

One is the upside down triangle, the other is that ball and coil one.

Mike

Mike Romain

The universal-fit adjustable ball antenna is an aftermarket thing, my local AutoZone has them hanging on a rack. The drawback to them is that they sometimes loosen up and fall over.

4wd.com has the OEM style that you called an inverted triangle in chrome telescopic (#4487502), chrome (448751) or black (4487512), your choice $29.99.
Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I went to AutoZone and they didn't have one. And the guy behind the counter looked at it like it was from Mars. Actually I found the original antenna mounting point so maybe I will replace it there. The great part is that the radio is working just fine with no antenna - this thing picks up more stations than my other car.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

That's because you asked the pimply-faced kid in the red shirt. You want the non-pimpled kid in the gray shirt, he knows where the paper catalogues are. Tell him that you're looking for a "universal top/side mount" antenna. Their supplier is RoadWorks or RoadTech or some other such bland two-part non-name, and the supplier's stock number is:

US AW 03-R for a ball-mount, universal fit rubber stump antenna AW 10, AW-20 or AW-23 for telescoping ball-mount, universal fit antennas. The last number has a loading coil built into the mast.

Both my local AutoZone and ActionAuto stock the same pieces from the same supplier.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yay! Found it! The US AW 03-R works well. They didn't have the AW-23. I kind of liked that big metal spring but oh well! Incidentally, the dude in the gray shirt had no clue either. I had to find it myself. Even as I am showing it to him, he is telling me it won't work. Of course it worked fine.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Glad it helped.