Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Hi : I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer quoted me $475 to get it replaced. Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too excessive to me)?

Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that happens, will it damage the engine?

Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have no clue Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on this issue.

Thanks in advance, Al

Reply to
alja78

My understanding is the six-cylinder timing belt is replaced at 90K miles, check your manual. The price quoted may reflect water pump or other components needed. If the belt breaks you will require a tow to someplace. Engine is non-interference so it should survive. I had my

2000 Sienna's timing belt and two more belts replaced at dealer for under $300. They told me water pump and pulleys were fine.
Reply to
badgolferman

This sounds like about double what you'd pay at a GOOD independent mechanic, and the job might be better done by the independent, since he knows you and what your name is and what you look like. (None of which can be said for the dealer's mechanic....he has no idea who you are ...it's just another job to him. ) Yes, it might be a good idea to replace the water pump while the engine is semi-torn down...saves on another round of labor charge sooner or later when the pump fails.

Sure it can snap, which could happen at 5000 miles after replacement or

75000 miles. It's a crap shoot, and you may be lucky enough to get another couple of years out of your present belt, but if you'd sooner not be towed from a country road seventeen miles from Cornplaster, Iowa at 10 PM, it would add to your peace of mind to replace it.
Reply to
mack

Reply to
cmuller

The fliers in this area (Boston) advertise $229 for a 4 cylinder timing belt job from any of the Toyota dealers. I've heard/read that Toyota motors are now able to tolerate a broken timing belt without damage, but of course your car won't run after the break.

alja78 wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Sounds like a typical price from a dealer to me (i.e., too high compared an independent mechanic). Also, the service interval for the 2000 model year V6 timing belts is 90K miles (and even that's pessimistic, IMHO), so if it's already been replaced once, you're good to go for a bit.

The engine is non-interference, so if the belt breaks, the engine stops and you get towed to a mechanic.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Coupon price for just the timing belt is usually $250 or so for the V6. What the dealer does is get you in with that coupon, and then slap you with the water pump, oil seals, valve cover gaskets, both the idler and tensioner pulleys and you are looking at an additional $600-800. Some dealers even price the water pump job as a separate job, adding more to the cost.

A good independent mechanic should be able to get you out for 1/2 the cost. But a good mechanic is always hard to find, that's why many of us do our own work.

Do ask them for a package deal and a discount if you want the dealer to do it.

alja78 wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Thank you all for your valuable and insightful advice. I appreciate the prompt responses and sugestions. I guess that for now, I will just to the 120K mile service and revisit the timing belt issue at a later date.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
alja78