New 07 Camry first oil change

Yes, that explains everything.

Reply to
SMS

How do you explain your idiotic posts? These are your claims:

  1. You claim there is no real difference between synthetic and conventional oils. You cite a 15 year old Consumer Reports test on NYC taxicabs. All the cabs were large American cars with V8 engines built to tolerances that you could drive a Mack Truck through.
  2. You claim that "in warm climates there is no benefit" to synthetics even though many people have complained about sludge (gelling), and the flash point of synthetic oil is much higher than conventional oil. You state this even though in your own words: "Synthetic oils withstand higher temperatures before breaking down, and have more base stock and less viscosity modifiers." You also ignore that the known fact that about 75% of engine wear occurs in the first few minutes of engine operation before it reaches normal operating temperature.
  3. You claim Mobil 1 is an inferior synthetic because Mobil recommends a change interval of 7500 miles. You claim that we should all go out and pay
40% more for Royal Purple ($6 per quart) since it is guaranteed to last much longer. You recommend this in spite of the fact that the OP is talking about a brand new 07 Camry, for which he does not want to void his warranty by using a change interval of greater than 5000 miles.
  1. You ignore the fact that Mobil 1 has their own Extended Performance oil that costs 40% more (like Royal Purple) when claiming that Mobil 1 is inferior. BTW, neither Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Mileage oil (up to 15,000 mile guarantee) or the equivalent Royal Purple 5W-30 are certified as "energy saving formulas" as is the regular Mobil 1 5W-30.
  2. You further state Amsoil is much better than Mobil 1 because it has zinc and phosphate, even though it is not API certified and will void a new car warranty since using an oil with that much since and phosphate will damage the catalytic converter.
  3. After first claiming that synthetics have virtually no benefits on conventional oil, you go on to trash Mobil 1 and recommend that people purchase Royal Purple at + per quart.
  4. You also make some other ridiculous claims such as :"Synthetic oil was originally developed for high performance racing engines." Wrong. Synthetic oil was developed for NASA for use in the space program.

The above clearly explains why you are a moron.

Reply to
James

I never said that was the reason it was inferior.

I never recommended this. What I said is that if you're going to spend money on synthetic, then you should get a synthetic that actually has some benefit over mineral oils. I don't think you should use synthetic at all, unless you a) live in an extremely cold climate, or b) have a high performance engine that requires synthetic.

Reply to
SMS

Just face the facts. You use Mobil 1, and you're desperately trying to justify it. If you had even the slightest ability to think critically, you'd understand why it makes no sense to use a synthetic unless you have a vehicle that would receive a benefit from it.

The fact that you have to resort to personal attacks, pretty much makes it clear to everyone that you have no knowledge about what you speak.

The key thing is that using Mobil 1 won't damage your engine. If it gives you peace of mind to use it, then you should keep using it. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that you're doing anything beneficial for your engine.

Reply to
SMS

The point is that both Royal Purple and Mobil make a superior $6 per quart synthetic oil that has certain benefits over $4.25 per quart Mobil 1. The problem is that if you have a new car and want to maintain the warranty, then you are going to changing the oil at 5000 miles anyway. Also, the $6 per quart oils are not energy saving formulas as determined by the API.

In your own mindless ranting, you suggested that regular Mobil 1 is no better than conventional oil, but you suggest here (again) that if one wants to use a synthetic they should use the $6 per quart varieties that will last

15000 miles.
Reply to
James

The issue is not the mileage. You would not extend the change interval with either. The issue is that the Royal Purple is a high grade synthetic with higher film strength.

Neither Mobil 1 nor Royal Purple will give you any advantage in a non-high performance engine. But if you're going to throw money away on synthetic, in the belief that it is a better product, you should actually buy the better product. The extra $1.75 is cheap insurance for the additional peace of mind, and after all it is a false economy to skimp on oil.

Reply to
SMS

Desperately trying to justify it? You must be out of your mind.

The facts are:

  1. 75% of engine wear occurs right after start up before the engine reaches normal operating temperature. A full synthetic (of any decent brand) will greatly reduce this engine wear to almost imperceptible levels.
  2. A full synthetic of any decent brand will provide better fuel mileage (maybe up to 1/2 MPG) for most cars.
  3. Many people change their oil at 3000 mile intervals, especially when using conventional oil. A full synthetic of any decent brand will have less breakdown at 6000 mile than conventional oil at 3000 miles, making the cost of changes almost the same if these people switched to synthetic with 5-6000 mile intervals.
  4. There have been reports of engine sludge (gelling) on this forum, especially on some Toyota engines. A full synthetic will make sludge much less likely to occur.
  5. According to Mobil, more than 35 new car makes and models use Mobil 1 as factory fill.. Here is the list from Mobil 1 website (it must really make you feel surperior that you are smarter than all these manufacturers):

Acura RDX Aston Martin Bentley Amage and Bentley GT Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V (all 2008 models) Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06 Chevrolet SSR Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6 Cobalt SS Dodge Ram SRT-10 Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum, and Viper Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles Mercedes SLR Mitsubishi EVO III Pontiac GTO All Porsche vehicles Saturn Red Line Viper SRT-10

I have heard that BMW and some other EU auto manufacturers factory fill with Castrol Syntec (EU version), but I don't know for sure.

These are my opinions:

I would recommend any decent synthetic oil, not just Mobil 1. I would hesitate on Royal Purple and Mobil 1 Extended Performance because they cost so much, and they are not energy saving formulas according to the API. The fact that Royal Purple and Mobil 1 Extended Performance can last 15000 miles seems of little benefit so long as the warranty requires 5000 mile changes.

Among the reasonably priced full synthetic oils on the market, I would recommend both regular Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetic. I would not recommend Castrol "synthetic" that is sold in the US (the stuff sold in EU is different) unless you can get the US Syntec considerably cheaper than Mobil

1 or Pennzoil synthetic. There are some other good synthetic oils, but they seem to cost a lot more, with little practical benefit for 5000 change intervals mandated by the warranty.
Reply to
James

The issue is you faulty logic. You repeatedly say that synthetic is a waste of money, then you say that if one gets synthetic, they you must spend about $9 more than Mobil 1 synthetic per oil change for an oil that is not even an energy saving formula (so the real cost is closer to $20 more per oil change because of better fuel economy of regular Mobil 1).

Do you even read your own posts to see how ridiculous they are?

Reply to
James

Unfortunately, everyone has their own definition of "synthetic" oil or lubricants. My understanding is that synthetic oil using PAO were first developed for NASA.

Reply to
James

Maybe you should consult an expert, like this NASA Engineer at the Marshal Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. His name is Phil Hall and his field of work is Tribology, which is the study of friction, wear, and lubrication. Here are some of his findings:

"In our spare time, our group collects and tests different motor oils using the Shell Four Ball tester. This tester tests the extreme pressure properties of oils. These areas in a motor are cam to lifter contacts, valve stem to guild, and piston skirts. Over the years we have found synthetic bases oils to out perform mineral based oils by a large margin. We test the oils new, after 1000 miles, 2000 miles, and up to 10,000 miles. In a nut shell, we found that synthetic oils have better wear properties after being run 10,000 miles then mineral grade oils new. Which synthetic do we use? First any [of] you will benefit from any synthetic, but we use Mobil 1. Mobil by far puts more research dollars in motor oils then any other company. They are also aggressive in racing."

"Other notes on motor oils:"

"Do not run a multi grade oil (10w-30) more then 1000 to 2000 miles - depending on your driving habits. This is because a 10w30 oil starts its life as a 10 weight oil and large polymer chains are added to get the 30 rating. These chains break down very quickly which produces small chains with an open electron charge at the ends. These ends attract grim[e] and form sludge."

"The reason Mobil 1 can safely be run for 10,000 miles is because the additive package is well engineered to isolate grim[e] and hold it in suspension. This also is why Mobil 1 is expensive. You know - you get what you pay for."

James

Doesnt bother me whether they believe me or not. On your car, do what you want.

Duh, maybe, but true nonetheless.

Ibid...It is your car. Do what you want.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks for confirming that you made it all up. Now go throw your money away.

Reply to
SMS