new 2005 Camry with very BAD gas milage

In the first breath you admit there is a difference. In the second breath you ask what difference does the difference make. An understanding OF the differences between the two engines will answer your question. Read up.

The aluminum block 2.4 with VVTi for 2002 was the first departure from your

2.2 model.
Reply to
Philip

OK. But what does that have to do with what I told fj. He only asked me what my mileage is.. Also , is the current 4 cylinder a 2.5 ? I thought it was a 2.4

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

2.4
Reply to
Philip

Of course I did because there is a difference.

I didn't say " what difference does the difference make". I said " what difference does it make"..... because in the context of our conversation it has nothing to do with what fj and I were talking about. Thats what I meant. Again....he only asked what my mileage is and he knew mine was a 2.2 .

Damn...you just assume all sorts of things , don't you ? I do have an understanding of the differences in the two mentioned engines.I know the 2.2 inside and out pretty well , maybe not as well as you do , but I have done a few rebuilds on the older 4 cylinders. Although I have never rebuilt a 2.4 , I do know a little about the engines. I have "read up" on them. May I ask....... are you a mechanic ? Just curious.

I see you changed my quote above. I had typed 2.5 and you changed it to >2.4< when you pasted it in here. You said the new 4 cylinder was a

2.5 and I was questioning that. Was the 2.5 a typo in your previous posts ?

Thank you , but I knew that. Since you are now typing 2.4 I assume the 2.5 you typed earlier was in fact a typo.

Seems as though much of the time you only hear what you want to. And if you don't like it , re-word it a little to suit yourself.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

What did you expect? 22 mpg with 2/3 city driving seems very reasonable. My experience with recent vehicles has been that the mileage will improve slowly as you break in the car, leveling off somewhere between 5,000 and 15,000 miles. The EPA estimate for your car was only 24 city. With this low an estimate, I think 22 mpg is good. The EPA city driving cycle is not very stressful and often gives "high" numbers. Current Camry's are larger, heavier cars, with lots of power absorbing "goodies." They are not going to be as fuel efficient as older models.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Please note: EPA numbers are estimates only. If you get within 10 % of the estimate i would think you would be ok.

Onboard computer figures are always higher than actual figures.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Mine is doing around 23,5mpg - 24mpg with 1/3 city and 2/3 higway, a bit disappointing compared to my old camry that drove 28 -30 mpg (5 speed maunal) I also have a old V6 Camry 1995 with very poor gas milage, it dosn't matter how or where i drive it it almost always end up with around 19 mpg

"fj" skrev i en meddelelse news:d7bkqu$38f$ snipped-for-privacy@gist.usc.edu...

Reply to
Einstein

You're at roughly 22, sticker said 24. I've found that by driving very smoothly, can pick up two mpg in city driving. When the car accumulates additional mileage, fuel economy is likely to improve, so then, presumably, you'd be over 24 mpg with smooth application of throttle and anticipating / coasting to stops. May not be able to justify the cost, but full synthetic lubricants can help also. Also check accessory drive belt tension using factory specs and a belt tension gauge if you can find anyone that's actually got one (found one on eBay). Belt tension is usually off, sometimes by 20 - 30 lbs. or more. Also, obviously, check tire pressure with an accurate mechanical gauge, regularly. I prefer the dial type, brass with bleed valve. Tires are checked cold before the car is driven. See:

$10 straight version should work just fine. Well worth the cost ifyou use it regularly. IMHO keeping tire pressure perfect is one of thesimplest and quickest performance enhancements available.

Reply to
Daniel

I also have observed a very large difference between the actual mileage calculated at fill-up and the display average MPG. On a trip on the Ohio Turnpike at about 72 MPH for several hours my computed maileage was 30 MPG and the display showed 39.9 MPG (Avg). I am disappointed in the 30 MPG results as well. I have computed and compared at least three times on long trips and the display AVG MPG is always 8-10 MPG higher.

I also observe the speedometer shows about 2 MPH higher than my Garmin GPS measures.

I doubt anybody in this thread has seen accurate display but then this is for people with problems. Will Toyota have an answer for this?

Thanks...

Reply to
WestVirginiaGuy

(will try this again without the formatting)