Noisy breaks

Just replaced most of the break system on a '01 V6 Camry and used the Centric Sumitomo brand. These new breaks are absolutely quiet in any situation (light breaking, firm breaking..), and seem to perfrom very well; yet after a couple of miles of highway driving, they begin to squeel and make that high-note pitch only while light breaking - if break pedal is pushed firmly, they're quiet. Another thing I noticed, immediately after highqway driving, the rotor is very, very hot - probably it's something normal, I didn't pay that close attention with previous set of breaks.

Should I go to my mechanic or are these normal conditions with aftermarket breaks?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John P.

firm

The brake rotors should not be hot unless you have been using the brakes within the last couple of minutes, if on a hiway. Once the brakes have been applied to pull up or slow down from some speed, they will be very hot, but the cooling designed in to the front air-dam (fibreglass painted body assembley on the front of the car) will cool them substantially.

Mind you, the mere act of pulling up to inspect the rotors will leave them too hot to touch for a minute or two.

If they are getting so hot from a normal stop, that they are sizzling,...there is something wrong with either the master-cylinder (mounted on the fire-wall in front of the driver) residual line-pressure (which is controled by small valves in the hydraulic line attachment points to the MC) or the caliper/pad assembly-design. To test for brake-dragging,..jack/raise up the front of the car,..one side at a time will do,..then check the road wheels turn freely. Some slight drag is normal,...there should be no need to apply a lot of effort to turn them.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James