C5 moves when hitting bumps in the road

Hi

I have a 2001 corvette with run flat tires.

I have noticed that if I hit a small bump in the road at all the car moves slightly in fact the car is I think very steering sensitive, any defect in the road surface seems to affect it.

Is this normal or do I need to sort something.

Thankks.

Ray

UK

Reply to
yar

Uh, you haven't obviously driven a Viper, have you? Do that and post if you still think a Vette moves. TF

Reply to
TF

So you are saying the corvettes handling is just crap then?

Reply to
yar

No, run flats are just crap.

Reply to
Charlie

put it on a lift and go over your suspension with a fine toothed comb. I checked mine over really good yesterday after reading about Johnny Mc's broken tie rod end. I don't know if reading this newsgroup is good for me or not, I get paranoid easy. I did find some original rubber bushings that could use changing.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

Reply to
Bob I

Wonder if the yellow plastic blocks on the top of the front shocks have been removed?

Reply to
Charlie Funk

The yellow plastic blocks were not used in 2001. I think it is just normal for run flats. BTW, the C5 handles like a dream compared to a C4 with the roof off. That car was unsafe with the top off.

dick

2001 Black/black/6pd/coupe
Reply to
aRKay

Found that out when I took the top out for the first time last weekend. With it in everything is tight and solid, with it out, the vibrations are so bad I can't use the rear view mirror and the steering wheel shakes bad (kinda like death wobble on a Jeep if you know what I mean). Scary driving with the top out.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

I've been reading Dad's comments about the "Flexi-Flyer" and now yours. I'm a newbie, just bought my first 'vette recently. I've had quite a few muscle cars over the years, 1st. gen Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers Barracuda's, etc., and loved them all. (kinda wish I hadn't sold them, they'd be worth a fortune now...) Each had their own personalities, some good, some bad. I had a '57 Chevy (4 door, but still a Bel Air) that I called the "Walk Car". Every time I took it out, I would wind up walking home. ;-) Anyway, I digress... Last weekend was sunny and warm here on the "Left Coast", so I decided to take the roof out of my '90 ZR1 and took her for a lengthy drive on country roads. Even a few miles on the "not-so-Freeway". No shakes. No twists. Even at Warp 9.5, smooth as butter. Maybe the ZR1 chassis is stiffer, or has more support. Don't know. Dad?

TomC

Reply to
Tom Crabtree

Can't say, I've never driven a ZR1 and have never seen the frame structure or its engineering. The 89 I did drive, with the top on, shook the hood so bad I though it would come off, dealers car, new. The 92 I bought some years later didn't do it with the top on but was un-drivable with it out. Have you driven a C5, and if so how was that compared to the smooth as butter ride in the ZR1?

Reply to
Dad

Dad:

I've never driven a C5, although rode passenger in one when they came out new. And the drive was only from my friends office to a restaurant a few miles down the road, so there was no 'performance' driving going on. My impression was a really nice ride, firm, but not too firm. Didn't feel *EVERY* bump in the road, but felt that it would go exactly where it was pointed. My ZR1 is not the most powerful car I've ever owned, I had a slightly warmed over 440 magnum with 2x4 holleys pumping 450hp+ in a 1968 Charger, WHOOHOO! it was a blast to drive!!! It wouldn't stop or turn, but boy was it fast. Think "Fast & Furious". Back to the ZR1... it is, however, by far the most civilized extremely quick car I've ever had the pleasure to drive. Normal driving is just that, *normal driving*. It putts around town nicely, does tend to heat a little in traffic, 180-200 (hard to tell, the f*ing gauge isn't graduated!!) The stock mufflers are fairly quiet, a nice subdued rumble. It's fairly low in the front, I've got to be very careful around speed bumps and getting in and out of the driveway, but I suppose all 'vettes have similar issues here. It's got a really nice power curve, it almost feels like a turbocharged car. Power keeps increasing from low end to when the little light that says "SHIFT" on the dash (which happens *VERY* quickly). Just going into second gear, you are already over 60mhp and going into 3rd is where you break the century mark. Under heavy acceleration, she's docile as can be, no squirming all over the road. You simply point it straight, and it goes. I drove my brothers '98 LS1 Camaro SS, and under heavy acceleration it was like opening a bag of snakes! All over the road. Fun, but dangerous.

TomC

Reply to
Tom Crabtree

================================ No.... (at least as far as I know...which is not everything for sure) The frame structure is the same...

My 95 ...from memory..since I have not had the rood off in years... handles the highways just fine... and handles "most" of the back roads around here well enough that I would not say it was a problem.. BUT Take to the real back roads...the twisties as I call them, and the car flexes enough that it is very noticable... god forbid I have to cross some railroad tracks...

Hood shake is not all that noticable to me...BUT the feed back my a$$ is getting along with my hands on the steering wheel tells me that there is a whole lot of shaken going on...

I put in a cross brace out of a ragtop on my car...which did stiffen up the frame...GM should have made IMHO installed that brace under every C4....but a nickle is a nickle and we all know GM....

Oh....I would not feel too bad about selling all those cars you used to own ... most of us have been there done that...My major regret is selling my "new brides" 55 2 door Chevy Belair hardtop... darn thing was "just another car".. used oil big time...and with gasoline up to

50 cents a gallon it had to go...kept a 61 VW beetle... DUMB !

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.