Non-starting 91 Camry wagon

Recently I posted thanks to the person who advised me to clean the idle control valve. After I'd removed the throttle body and given a good blast with carb cleaner the car started and I thought all was OK. Not so. I later went for a long drive and the car ran well, but when I stopped a couple of times it was reluctant to start again. We got home OK, but the next time I tried to start it the same problem was there. I have just taken the throttle body off again, and this time taken the ISC valve assembly off so I could clean out the valve more thoroughly (yes, I marked the position for reassembly). Back together, the engined fired briefly then stopped and failed to fire again. Battery is good, the engine turns over well.

I think the ISC valve has been eliminated from consideration, so what else should I look at? (I've already replaced fuel the filter). As far as I can see almost everything else is electrical/computer, and I don't think I have the ability to test these parts. The engine ran perfectly on the trip, and the starting problem was evident, though not so conclusively, when the engine was hot.

Any suggestions from the mechanics out there?

Thanks...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Check for spark when it wont start, Camry coils are under the cap and get contaminated by oil and do fail

Reply to
ransley

I would also suspect the coil. Chiltons has a "test procedure" for the coils in their manual. The manuals are usually available at the local library. Coils are an easy swap out, except sometimes the screws might be a bit stubborn and you have to be careful of stripping them out.

Reply to
timbirr

I had assumed that since the car runs well once started properly the electrics must be OK. Is it possible for the spark to be deficient at start time but OK for normal running?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Read our lips.....C-h-e-c-k t-h-e c-o-i-l.......

Reply to
timbirr

I will ... but is the answer to my question yes?

Reply to
Gib Bogle