Odd oil leak from valve cover on 97 camry...

I had an oil leak around the distributor end of my valve cover on my 97 Camry recently. It was leaking pretty good. I had installed a new valve cover seal 6 months ago and had no leaks. Took it to my regular mechanic and we found that even tho this model has no failure prone O ring around the distributor where it goes thru the head (97 and up use coil packs no distributor) Toyota used a rubbery plug to seal the hole where the distributor would have gone. Well it was leaking. Got it resealed and a new valve cover gasket and its fine now..So moral of this story is when you change the valve cover gasket, pull that plug out and reseal it with RTV sealant and reinstall it. Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

Glad I read that as I'm having the same problem.

Can you tell me where to find that plug?

I'm going to pop the valve cover off again in the near future.

Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
sunliner