Oil Consumption.

I have 99 toyota camry with about 85K. I notice the car using about half quart oild every 3k miles. what is acceptable oil consumption for the car?

Reply to
us_eagle

Gary Danaher

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Car engines must use oil to lubricate the cylinder walls properly. Often some engines appear to not use any oil, but that is more a function of pollutants keeping the sump level steady.

Some engines will use much more than others but can still be considered serveable,....in other words, as long as the engine is not consuming so much oil it blows blue smoke while driving or requires oil added every tankfull of petrol, it OK.

A pint every 1500 miles is not excessive,...at every 250 miles be a concern.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Explanation stands.

Reply to
Philip®

Reply to
us_eagle

Cars that dont get a good run at highway speeds or are city diven short trips can have their oil dilute from from gas , Ive seen city go on a

60 mile ride loose a quart, but what they really lost was a quart of gasoline byproducts
Reply to
mark Ransley