OT for AHR. rent-a-rim

I didn't believe it until I saw it on the web. One shop I went to recently had changed its name, The new owner said it had been called
rent-a-rim.
What, people are renting rims?
http://www.rentawheel.com/Home http://www.rimtyme.com/wheels/rent-to-own-lease-to-own/home.html
Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,
Although some or all of it is rent-to-own, which is also verryyy expensive. "My job is my credit."
And btw, the bigger rims rent for more when bigger rims give a a worse ride. Yes indeed, bigger rims with the same radius tires have a shorter sidewall, and it's the sidewall that soaks up most of the bumps.
On 10/25/2014 06:11 PM, micky wrote:

One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to find your car on blocks?
On 10/26/2014 3:58 AM, Todd wrote:
mps.

Yes, according to an article in the paper a few months back.

When you sign the contract to rent the tires a lien is registered against your vehicle, so if you don't pay the rent you don't wake up to find your car without rims, you wake up to an empty parking space because your whole car has been reclaimed.

Rims are a fashion statement, and they go in and out of fashion, which is why these guys get customers who absolutely have to have the latest dubs, but who will want to trade to a different shape in a month or so.
I think it's silly, but then I've been driving the same car with the same rims for twenty years and clearly I don't keep up with the latest thing. I did at one point have to change rims when they stopped making TRX tires. --scott

On 10/26/2014 11:24 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

You are on the list for the next Cash for Clunkers campaign. Do your art for the economy!

The west side of Phoenix has had rent-a-wheel/tire places for at least 5 and maybe 10 years.