parking brake light stays on

[Crosspost - alt.autos.toyota.camry, alt.autos.toyota]
Hi all,
I recently had the alternator on my '98 Camry replaced. However now,
the parking brake light (the exclamation mark with a circle) stays on for no reason I can figure. The mechanic who replaced my alternator didn't know why it was happening either, but I don't really feel like bringing the car to Toyota just for this.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Just check your brake fluid level

If the fluid level is low, make sure that the pads don't need to be replaced.
If the pads don't need to be replaced, then you need to find out WHERE the fluid went.
Brake fluid doesn't just "go away". It is drawn into the caliper cylinders as the pads wear, or it leaks out of bad seals.
If this problem coincided exactly with the alternator replacement, I'd look and make sure that there's not an electrical connector on the fluid reservoir that was left disconnected.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:36:27 +0100, "Jan Siepelstad"

--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:24:28 -0800, Rich Lockyer
[snip]

Actually I don't think it had to do with the alternator replacement at all. I noticed this before the replacement, but my dumb self didn't pick up on it -- the hose that leads from the radiator cap to the engine coolant reservoir broke!
How dangerous is this? Can I still drive around until I get it fixed? I'm currently in a 15*C-25*C environment.
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:09:47 -0600, Terrence Chan

That would not have anything to do with the brake light coming on. As far as the coolant hose, you can get away without replacing it, but I would open the radiator cap and top off the coolant every morning. The system is designed to vent excess pressure (and coolant) into the reservoir, and when the engine cools down, it draws it back in.
It should be replaced ASAP... it's only a $5/5-minute job.
--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:35:22 -0800, Rich Lockyer
Hmm, so much for that theory then. I checked the brake fluid level as suggested by Jan, but it's fine.

Thanks, will do.