Possible Injector Damage in My '98

My wife ran her '98 LE 4-banger out of gas about a week ago and we have had some problems since. The car didn't actually stall out from lack of gas driving, but rather wouldn't start in the parking lot after a stop. Tossing in a couple of gallons got it running. However, since then we are having some intermittent problems that were not present before. Two times since running it out of gas the car has had trouble idling, and in a third instance, it wouldn't start at all. In each case, the problem only lasted for a bit and then started behaving normally again. The rest of the time, it runs perfectly.

Does this sound like injector damage? To me, the problems we've had seem too random; I would expect the car to run poorly most or all the time instead of just once in an while if the problem was damaged injectors.

If it's not injector damage, what else might it be? Seems like a pretty big coincidence that these problems started right after running dry. Any help would be appreciated.

-- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Sounds like a contaminated fuel filter. It happens when you run down to the dirty part of the tank.

Reply to
JoAnne

Since, most of time, the car can run at full power, it doesn't seem like a dirty fuel filter (restricted fuel flow) would be the problem. If so, can the car run flawlessly at freeway speeds at times, i.e, wouldn't a dirty filter cause a full-time problem?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Is there any way to repair this myself? Wouldn't this trapped air work its way out over time?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Freeway speeds are nowhere close to "full power".

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

Let me rephrase, then. The car handles hard acceleration from dead stop and also at high speed, just like normal. It's clearly not starved for fuel.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

There should be a valve - like a tire valve with a screw-on cap - on the fuel rail that allows you to bleed down the pressure before servicing the injectors. Try that - but my guess would be fuel filter.

Reply to
default user