Quieter? Accord or Camry?

Which car is quieter?

An Accord...or a Camry?

If I ask someone who works in a dealership, they will, no doubt, tell me that *their* car is quieter....

But I am wondering if there is an unbias source out there , some rating or index...that can settle the question once and for all.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Whats your experience?

Thanks!

Myself

The conventional view is that the Camry is a hair quieter, but the Accord has better handling.

Some of the car mags, or Consumers Report, actually use a decimal meter to measure the noise, so check out the reviews. But there are new V6 engines in the Camry and Accord this year, so make sure you up-to-date info.

Why not test drive them and find out?

Reply to
Mark A

We own a 92 Accord 4 banger and a 99 Camry 6 banger -- the Accord from new and the Camry from 39000 km The Camry was tons quieter on the intereior at 39 than the Accord. Of course this is not an apples to apples comparison but my own experience.

The prior suggestion of test driving both and deciding for your self is best. Another indicator for me has always been the weight of the hood and the amount of insulation used.

A very uneducated measuring stick but it serves me well

Regards The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

An Accord...or a Camry?

If I ask someone who works in a dealership, they will, no doubt, tell me that *their* car is quieter....

But I am wondering if there is an unbias source out there , some rating or index...that can settle the question once and for all.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Whats your experience?

Thanks!

steve

I would also put this question in the alt.autos.honda newsgroup for feedback.

From the readings I have done, the Camry is quieter. When I went to buy my

2002 Camry LE V6, the Camry was substantially quieter and more comfortable then the 2001 Honda Accord. The Accords are more of the "Drivers Car" and one of the reasons perhaps why Toyota introduced the Sport Edition Camry.

I would suggest you drive both cars on the same day and the same stretch of road at same speeds to get a decent comparison. The factors that create additional noise could be tires, weather (wind noise), type of interior (the noise one gets when they sit on leather and it squirms when they move around), various rattles and squeaks, etc.

Overall, you will find that the reviews you read will say that if you want a comfortable, quiet cruiser, get the Camry. If you want a drivers car, get the Honda. If you want the best of both worlds, get the Camry SE with the

3.3 V6.

Reply to
Car Guy

That's my experience, too. Around here, Honda s are the car of choice for the drug gangsters.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

Tires are a big factor. Make sure the one you get comes with tires known to be quiet.

Reply to
Art Begun

Technical Tests:

---------------------- An 01 accord 4cyl (same body style as 02) and 02 camry 4cyl tested at

50mph (80km/h) for interior noise:

Accord 63.5dB Camry 67 dB

(Source: NRMA Australia,

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the 02 Camry scored 72 dB at 55-65mph.

Personal Observation:

---------------------- I own a V6 02 Camry SE. I also frequently drive an 02 V6 Accord LX.

Camry: much superior in insulating road and wind noise. I hardly ever hear wind noise regardless of how windy it is outside or how fast I'm going. Road noise is just the tires hissing against the asphalt. Moon roof lets through absolutely *no* noise when shut. People usually fall asleep in my car when travelling more than 10miles on the highway. (boring car?)

Accord: quiet as well, but not as much as the Camry. Wind noise is more defined, noticeable, though not too loud.

BUT; big one here, the Gen 5 Camry is so poorly put together (Kentucky), it rattles like nobody's business (mine and others who told me), especially in cold temps. This is contrary to the Accord which so well assembled; it's a more solidly built car.

I think an Accord is no match to a Gen 5 Camry with no rattles (does it even exist in the US?)

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Bullshit.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 and it was built in Japan. The vehicle is rattle free.

Here are some test results from Edmunds.com:

2002 Camry SE V6:
Db @ Full Throttle: 71 Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 72

2003 Honda LX V6:

Db @ Full Throttle: 88 Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 92

As you can see, the Camry is significantly quieter

Reply to
Car Guy

IMPORTANT: Units here should have been dB(A) instead of dB. Sorry for the confusion.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Why not keep it professional? If I made a mistake, just correct me. In addition to my finding it very offensive the way you responded, it has not benefited me or anybody else knowledge-wise. Isn't this the whole purpose of this group? To learn more?

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Comsumer reports has rated them, accord and camry. And i havnt checked it yet, but 3 db is alot as it takes, double an amplifiers power to produce 3db, for each 3db you are doubling volume, and discomfert. Radio shack sells DB meters for maybe 25us$. Quiete cars are less stress to drive for everyday use. Noisy cars are fun for fun

Reply to
mark Ransley

Relax , you are right , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com this is a calm group , compared to alt. hvac. and most others some groups slam and destroy for fun... get to know whats up...... its unmoderated. Ask a totally moronic question and i will slam you to , Like my sister wouldnt put water in her battery because it would freeze in the winter, or a friend who thought changing the oil filter and not the oil was good enough. Some people dont do anything till it blows, Its for you to learn..........

Reply to
mark Ransley

My XLE V6 is much quiter and smoother than the friend's 2001 V6 Accord EX. The Accord has stiffer sporty ride along with the jerkier gear box. Honda emphasizes on sporty (young) consumers and Toyota emphasizes on the older crowd with a smoother and quiter ride. IMO

Reply to
pacificwoods

Reply to
Car Guy

Amen.

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

Camry. During acceleration or cruising, the Toyota is significantly quieter than the Accord. In trade mags, the Accord is quieter at idle.

Reply to
Ron

Sorry, what is the "Gen 5" Camry? Is it the current design from model year

2002 and on?

Reply to
chm1

"Gen 5" is Generation 5 Camry. You are right; it is the current design beginning in 2002. Camry's have a major design overhaul every 5 years, with minor changes withing the same generation such as lights, interior and exterior trims and other features including engine options. The first Camry appeared in the US in 1983.

You can check this link for a good history overview:

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim