Radiator Exploded - 93 Camry

I have a 93 Camry V6 5 speed. Sitting at idle speed with the AC on for about 10 min (outside temp about 30 degrees C) the top of the rad split wide open. None of the 2 cooling system caps let the pressure off, no hoses let go. I found this to be rather strange. Car is well looked after and coolant is changed every year. Rad shop is jumping to conclusion that I may have a cracked head. When it is refilled with water and run for 5 min it runs fine. Rad shop wants to do some kind of test with a chemical to see if exhaust gasses are getting in coolant. Is this test reliable? Should I get a second opinion? Obviously, I don't want to replace the rad if I have serious engine damage. Car is 10 yrs old with 377K on the clock.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

JM Oakville, Ont

Reply to
SpeedFreak

Get a new radiator (which you need anyway), put more coolant in and see if you loose coolant. If you have a head crack, the high pressure from the coolant will force its way into the engine. 377k miles is pretty damned old for a radiator. Some of them are plastic these days, so a catastrophic failure like this is not all that suprising.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

In my opinion just the radiator failed. Regardless of a possible head gasket leak the radiator should have been capable of the maximum 15 psi pressure rating of the radiator cap. If the pressure tried to exceed 15 psi the pressure relief radiator cap should allowed the excess water into the coolant reservoir, thus preventing the pressure from self destruct. The fact that the radiator sprung a leak indicates it alone is at fault. The test the radiator shop wants to perform is harmless enough but how expensive is it? How expensive is the radiator repair? You may want to get a junk yard radiator replacement.

Good luck

Reply to
marvin shostack