Re: '98 Camry EGR Diagnosis

1998 Camry, 4-Cyl, 70K miles. Check Engine Light comes on. OBD II Scanner says "Insufficient EGR Flow." I cleaned and blew-out the EGR Vacuum modulator and reset the ECM code. Eventually the Check Engine Light comes back on. Is there an easy way to check to see if I should just replace the EGR or if the problem is something that controls the EGR valve?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Pull vacuum on the EGR valve while the engine is running. Autozone has free MityVac rentals where you pay a deposit and get full refund when you return the tool.

Your engine should run rough or stall and the EGR valve should hold vacuum. You should also check to see the throttle vacuum ports leading to the modulator aren't plugged.

If these checked out and you still have problems, let me know. Or do a search > 1998 Camry, 4-Cyl, 70K miles. Check Engine Light comes on. OBD II

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
cmuller

Reply to
johngdole

hello, ok I'm having the same problem. I replaced the EGR but after about 2 days the check engine ight came back on. Where is the egr vacuum solenoid valve located? And where can you buy one. I've been searching on line with no success. I have a 2001 Camry with a 4 cyl. Wayne ::::

Reply to
waynek57

The VSV is located between the #2 #3 intake plenums. Just above the top of the rear engine mount.

With the eng> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Sorry I haven't been checking out the newsgroup since last week.

The EGR VSV on my 97 Camry was located on the passenger side way down behind the intake manifold kind of behind the motor mount. I don't know if this is the same location on your or not. I you follow the vacuum hose going to the side of the EGR manifold that has only one port that one should go to the Vacuum Solenoid Valve.

I found a supplier

and got it a lot cheaper than my local dealer. Hope this helps.

Reply to
cmuller