`92 camry transmission troubles

I recently bought a `92 camry with @ 225,000 miles on it,with the intention of swinging a used trany in it.The person said it was shot & slips really bad. I drove it home,but my feeling is that it doesn`t need a trany. Just some attention. I didn`t feel any slippage,but a very early shift through all the gears.(overdrive @ 20-30 mph)when coming to a stop,stays in gear, unless shifter in put into "N". Starting from L1 & manually shifting is a bit better, but as the rpm`s rise while in L2, it seems to be confused on which gear to go into, like it wants to shift but is held back by shifter.I pulled the trany pan & things looked very,very clean. pulled vlv bodies down & ck`d out. Again, things looked very impressively clean. I`m not worried about chnging the trany, but reluctant if it only needs a simple fix such as a speed sensor or something. I could "bring it in" for a "free diagnostic", but am a stubborn do-it-yourself person who likes to know what`s going on.I do have 15yrs experience with diesel electronics & voith transmission troublshooting & repair. Any insiteful info would help. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
metroman

You need to acquire the factory service manual set. Volume two covers transmission troubleshooting. That way you can have a systematic approach to isolating components. I'm inclined to agree with you - pan exceptionally clean is a good sign. The shift functions on that car are electronically controlled and there are only a couple of shift sensors, plus the throttle position sensor and the shift cable. After prolonged searching, I found the manuals on eBay, but if you're going to get into working on the car in depth they are indispensable in providing accurate, useful, detailed information and step by step procedures.

Reply to
Daniel

while searching for the FSM set, you could check here:

Daniel

Thanks for the greatly appreciated vote of confidence & info.I recently purchased a snap-on mt 2500 with lots of extras,plugged it in & was able to check a few thing out, but i think i might need a separate cartridge for transmissions. (Looking on e-bay) Thanks again!

Reply to
metroman

so i went out & bought a snap-on scanner with some cartridges.(yes i`m in deep now) also aquired a trany trblshooter cartridge from ebay. scanner can communicate with eng, but not trany.if i induce a code,it pulls it from the eng,or says there are no codes. when i`m cking my trany,it just keeps looking & doesn`t say there is or isn`t any codes,which leads me to believe it`s not communicating.when i`m trying to talk with trany i`m using my primary asian cartridge-#mt25001400(through2000) & my trany trblstr #mt25006499(through1999).am i doing something wrong?i`m just taking a educated guess,but i think my lockup solenoid is stuck.according to my scanner it is a normally open solenoid & closes when energized.if the ecm doesn`t see the proper resistance,shouldn`t it trip a code?

Reply to
metroman