99 Camry windshield wiper noise

66k kilometers on vehicle. ww motor is a lot noisier than it used to me (quiet hum). Mechanic, in my presence took the unit out of the car, disassembled it, cleaned, lubed all parts. Reassembled and reinstalled the noise was somewhat improved (about 65% of what it was before). He said the further reduction of noise would require swapping in another motor. I was shocked that this should happen so soon on a vehicle. Mind you, he said that noise or not, the noisy motor could last for years. Comments?
Reply to
Sharxster

If the wipers work well and there is no dragging on the motor due to tight linkages in the wiper mechanism, the motor is probably just making 'lamination noise'. This is an effect where the many small sheets of metal which make up the armature's core (the part which turns in the motor) are vibrating in sympathy with the load on the motor,.....not a problem, except for the noise.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for your assurance that nothing terrible is happening. My mechanic noted that by squeezing the motor casing while the motor was operating that the sounds would vary. In my presence he disassembled the linkage, bushings, etc, thoroughly cleaned and relubed. Checked inside the transmission casing and nothing appeared to be stripped.

Reply to
Sharxster