Re: Replacement antenna cable

In removing the cable from the back of the radio, the plug at the end of

> the coaxial cable from the antenna in the rear windshield broke. Toyota > wants $136 for a replacement cable. Anyone have suggestions for a cheaper > way to go? > > The conductor in the center of the cable is a single strand about as wide > as one hair-width. So trying to buy a cheap whip antenna and splicing its > plug into the Toyota cable is out of the question. > > Thanks, > > Ray

You can get conductive glue. I think its Silver loaded to repair rear screen heater elements.

Glue it back ?

Just a thought.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

The center prong in the plug is broken. I would need a complete new plug, but there's no way I can see to splice it.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

I finally found an installer who knew what he was doing. Contrary to my assertion above, he was able to splice the plug from a new 12" cable onto the old cable. He just stripped back the shields, twisted them together pigtail-like, and crimped them, then did the same with the center conductors. The two cables at the junction aren't in axial alignment; the cable ends point the same direction. So while there is perfect electrical continuity of the shields, there is no shield around the spliced center conductors. Even so there is no ignition static, AM or FM. Price: $29.96, and instant service (about 10 minutes) while I watched.

Screw Toyota and their outrageously priced replacement parts.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

If the installer knew what he was doing he would have aligned the cables axially; soldered the center conductor, put some heatshrink over the splice and then wrapped the shield axially around that and soldered or wirewrapped the shield conductor. This maintains the integrity of the shielding. You are fortunate you aren't hearing RF noise with this kludge.

Reply to
Travis Jordan