rear brake adjustment

I would like to know the procedure for adjusting the rear drum brakes on my 2001 Camry XLE (4 cyl). I always use the parking brake, and had the rear brakes adjusted at

30,000 miles service. I now have 33,500 miles on the vehicle and the parking brake seems to pull up more than 70% of its range of motion. Also the brake pedal travels lot more than it used to right after the 30,000 miles service. The dealer is asking USD 55.0 for the job... is it really worth that much or is it something that I would be able to do myself. TIA.
Reply to
Pintoo

rear brakes are self adjusting

Reply to
mark Ransley

So are front brakes. :-) So, take a break.

Reply to
Philip®

Also, have you had your front brakes checked? I just did a brake job on my

Reply to
Chuck

This is true. By cleaning, observing, and making careful repairs, and inspections, the car can be kept in great condition. Just remember, not everyone is comfortable using automotive tools properly. If one has an aptitude for it, can be really rewarding. But if you're one of those people who is "all thumbs" or has difficulty remembering which way it is you turn the bolt to tighten it, you're better off not approaching even brake work. For the people who consider cars a nuisance, that just cost money and get in the way of other things, better not to pick up a wrench with the wrong attitude. For me personally, I really enjoy working on carrs, and trust my own efforts more than most mechanics, but I recognize that not everyone is like I am in this regard.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

There is no need for disc on the rear of lighter cars. Case in point, when I nail the (non-ABS) brakes on my '03 Corolla, all four wheels can be locked up, starting with a bit of howling first from the rear (drum) brakes. So there is no need for disc. There may also be an argument to be made that a disc assembly has more unsprung weight.

Reply to
Philip®