rear bumper repairable from inside ?

This morning an SUV gave our 2000 Camry LE a slight tap on the rear bumper. The upshot seems to be no more than an 18" fracture running along the top of our rear bumper. The SUV had no insurance because our health system has already bled the owner dry. (end-stage Cancer) So the damage will be ours to repair.

Question: Is it possible to patch the plastic bumper from the inside -- just to make close the gap and keep the rain out? The result won't look like exactly new, but that's ok. Is there some product that will adhere to the inside bumper surface?

Thanks, Jake

P.S. Some bumper! Toyota should be ashamed!

Reply to
jake.pinneberg

If you can get at it, you should be able to use fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to bridge it from the inside. Make sure you do it in a well-ventilated, flame and spark-free area.

Reply to
Leftie

I am curious if the SUV driver pulled a fast one on you. "Oh, sorry, I don't have any insurance, I'm dying..."

Of course it very well could be true, but then I'd be wondering why the person would be willing to risk his last days on Earth in prison if caught driving without insurance. (And a gas-guzzling SUV? With gas prices as high as they are?) Seems strange.

I hope you got his license plate #.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Look at Popular Mechanic's article on plastic bumper repair. I think you may need only steps 1-3.

johngdole