Rear wheels locked or jammed

Hi All, I have a 92 toyota corolla. I parked my vehicle one day and the next day the battery was drained completely (it was little weak anyways). Then I jumpstarted the car and the rear wheels were not moving at all. The front wheel seems to be okay and so is the transmission (as the car does try to push/pull the rear wheel ). However, it seems the brakes are jammed. I donno if something else. One thing I noticed when I jumpstarted the vehicle is that one of the backlight was on (it was a yellow light which generally lights up when you want to take in reverse. It was not the brake light though). However, when I tried to take it in reverse and then forward it stopped. I guess that light was the reason for battery drainage.

However, I donno why the rear brakes are not moving at all. If anyone can please help that would be great. Thanks, Anand

Reply to
Anand

The rear brakes are drums? I haven't experienced brake- seizing that just starts on its own without some other problems with master cylinder/ oil on the linings etc. The only time I have seen a car just suddenly have that condition is after the car has sat for a looooong time with the braked assembly rusting up bigtime.

Has someone tried to adjust the rear brake-shoes? Is the handbrake siezed?

Get under the car and check the handbrake cable is not locked on.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Parking break handle is on ?

Reply to
m Ransley

I do not use parking brakes at all. So I wonder if that's the problem. Both the rear wheels are jammed. However when I change gear the cars try very hard to move... so I think there is no problem with transmission too.

The car was lying idle for 5 days or so. Its like I drove it and parked it. Next day the battery was drained. When I jumpstarted one of the backlight was on (reason for battery drain). When I changed gears the light went off but still the brakes are jammed!

Reply to
Confused

That's weird. There's really nothing at the rear wheels apart from wheel bearings and brakes. Next to impossible that independent wheel bearings would freeze simultaneously, they'd almost certainly make noise first, and they generally last the life of the car. How do you know it is the rear wheels and not the front? If it is the rear wheels, the only thing that could conceivably "jam" back there is the braking system. Here's a wild guess. Maybe someone added the wrong fluid in the brake master cylinder, all the seals swelled, and your brakes are locked.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Weird yes, maybe someone pulled the parking break. Locked ? are you sure, how do you know.

Reply to
m Ransley

Jack up a rear wheel and try to spin it by hand to see if you can... should spin freely with handbrake off. Maybe a spring has broken and jammed a shoe onto the drum...if so you should hear some noises.

Reply to
ROBMURR