Replace CV boot without pulling axle?

Can you tell me how to replace JUST the outer CV joint boot, R.H./passenger side, 1990 Camry, V6 Auto. Boot ripped very recently, so joint is not yet dirty (I hope). I have a Chilton book, but it only covers replacing the entire joint. I'm wondering if I can replace just this outer boot by only removing the wheel, etc.??? I'd need some details...never done this before (will buy tools needed). Thank you VERY kindly for any help with this question...hoping to avoid repair bills right before Christmas! Thanx.

Reply to
nvan

The only way you can do that is by installing a split boot. They are 20-25 dollars, but will not last very long. Still you may be able to avoid a big bill for a few months with one of these. Ultimately you will have to replace it. If you get it done at an auto repair place it will probably be around 200 dollars or so.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thanks for the fast reply! Yeah, I've read about the split boot approach...and they all say what you said: it won't last long. And given that I might not notice when the split boot fails, and dirt could get into the joint, I might as well just do it right the first time. Thanks for the confirmation. So much for $200 worth of Christmas presents! ;-) Thnx.

Reply to
nvan

If you check on the boot every 2-3 days you will see if it is spewing grease. I had one on for 5 months before I decided to replace the shaft. The one I bought had a metal clamp you were supposed to use and without the proper tool I could never tighten it down good enough. I finally resorted to aircraft quality tie straps that I have access to and they held it for that entire time.

Reply to
badgolferman

Since a large part of the cost is the labor you may as well replace the CV joint at the same time. It wouldn't be much fun to replace the boot only to have the CV joint go in 6 months to a year.

Mitch

nvan wrote:

Reply to
Mitch

Live with it till you can save enought $$ for entire half shaft axle. some have driven a year with a torn boot. If you can DIY, Try raxles.com for replacement axles. Heard they use new CV joint on the reman axles. Some shops charge more for labor to replace just the boot compared to replacing entire axle, due to time required to clean out grease from cv joint.

Reply to
jjjsan

u have to take out the entire joint.split it with the allen bolts..be careful its quite a task for a first timer

Reply to
toyotawiz