How to replace CV outer boot?

Re: 88 Camry 3SFE: I bought a new outer boot for abt $9.00, but I see now that I have to have an installation kit, something with a "cone". So I am wondering if I should just return the outer boot kit and replace the whole RH CV shaft (costs about $60 I think)? Or is an installation kit something cheap? The narrow drive shaft end of the boot has to somehow go over the outer wide part of the CV shaft that is about 5 inches in dia. How in the world could it be stretched this much? It looks like the CV shaft has to be disassembled to get it installed.

Reply to
geronimo

It does. The shaft needs to be removed and the inboard cv joint disassembled in order to slide the boots off. Its a very messy ordeal, and a particular type of clamping tool is needed to make sure the new boot stays on the shaft. $60 for a half shaft is not a bad deal, and replacement of the axle as a unit is much much easier than taking apart the joints.

Reply to
qslim

Check the "CV Joint Overhaul" section in the Autozone free repair guide. I'd recommend just getting a rebuilt from the local NAPA store (check bolt on or snap on type half shaft).

You need a snap ring tool and one of the different boot clamp tools. I think you can borrow them for free from the local Autozone or Pep Boys.

If you use a universal patch CV boot, you don't even have to remove the half shaft, but the consensus is that it won't last. So best to get a NAPA rebuilt with warranty.

ger> Re: 88 Camry 3SFE:

Reply to
johngdole

Yeah,

Second this, I replaced all 4 boots on my 94 V6, and cleaned and regreased the CV joints. Messy. Now, I would get exchange assemblies every time, taking care to compare them with the old ones to make sure they are the right length overall.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff