Selling Car w/ "Check Engine" Light On?

I've got a '99 Camry with the dreaded charcoal canister issue, and I don't want to spend any more time or money on it--so buying a new car and selling the Camry.

I live in Massachusetts, which has a severe Lemon Law covering used cars--buyer can return the car if it won't pass inspection within 7 days, EVEN if you put the fact that it won't pass inspection into your contract.

I'm wondering how hard/easy it's going to be to find a private buyer who's willing to buy the car with the intention of fixing the canister issue and who won't give me hassles about a return. Or should I just take a bath and trade it in for a lot less money.

Any experiences with this situation would be appreciated.

Jon

Reply to
JonLPXC

Get a different mechanic

Reply to
ransley

== Camry built their reputation on reliability. Chances are repairs on the next car, plus higher insurance and registration on the new model will end up costing you more. Can't you just find a charcoal cannister in a wrecking yard? == I second the advice about another mechanic.

Reply to
Daniel

Let me answer your question with a question. If you went to a private party and looked at a car with the check engine light on, and he ezplained that he was selling it as is, would YOU buy such a car, unless you could get it for about half of the wholesale value? No? I didn't think so.

Reply to
mack