Struts for 95 LE

I'm considering replacing my struts and have heard that the mounts may need to be replaced too. Is it the whole mount or just a replaceable bearing? They're pretty pricey. Also, at 183k mi, do the springs still have their spring in them? I'm most concerned with excess lean in turns, sloppy boat-like steering, and that sinking feeling when 4 adults get in the car. Also, do I need to get an alignment afterwards?

Reply to
pwichert

I put Monroe Quick Struts on my mother's '99 Camry. The struts came from

Price was reasonable. I really like the way the car handles and rides. Would definately install them next time. The nicest things about Quick Struts are all the new components and new springs. It is nice to not have to worry about a spring getting loose and doing some major damage.

Reply to
Clay

New mounts are included with the Monroe Quick Struts. Make sure that you double check the proper torque specs for the top mounting nuts. There were some errors on the amount of torque written in the instruction sheet.

Jack the car up and block it securely. Remove wheels. Unbolt all the items attached to the struts. Remove the three top mounting nuts and the lower strut bolts. Insert the new quick strut assembly. Attach the mounting nuts and bolts. Re-attach the items removed from the struts. Torque the upper nuts and lower bolts to the correct specifications. Take car to alignment shop.

Smile and be happy.

My mother's Camry rides and drives like a new car.

Reply to
Clay

Clay wrote:

== Just be sure you like the ride qualities of Monroe. Prior owner installed Sensatrac struts and I had them replaced with Toyota struts because I did not like the ride harshness. Springs are checked by ride height measurement. Factory service manual shows figures and procedure. All you need is level ground and a tape measure.

"boat like swaying" is controlled by the stabilizer bar andbushings aka "anti sway bar" - bushings are inexpensive, easilyreplaced and not included with "quick struts."Strut mounts were an issue with later model years.I changed them when changing struts on the '94 but it made zerodifference. There is no extra labor when the struts are out, so it's only parts cost. If you like a firmer ride I found with Monroe, maybe you like the certain jolt at a bridge transition that used to bother me every morning as some kind of acceptable trade off. I am exceptionally sensitive to every aspect of performance though, and insist that all components be Toyota - except the oil filter where I use Pulolator Pure One after they shifted the manufacturing site and changed from the YZZA2 designation. All of the other Toyota parts I've found to be excellent. Changed the high mounted center brake lamp yesterday. The quality of the design, wiring attachment, hinged reflector and so forth - amazing in its attention to detail and durability of design. It's like every tiny aspect has been thoroughly considered, and I feel this applies to strut damping also. The stock units are nitrogen charged and designed to work exactly with your model. Just my opinion. Your choice. To continue, I've found the stock suspension setup very stable at very high speed plus stable in cornering, though cornering ability is also influenced considerably by tire selection, tire condition and inflation pressures. It should be noted with reference to the high speed stability that I also replaced the front axles, ball joints and control arms around

150,000 miles. One thing led to another. I replaced the axles for incipient boot cracking on one side and grease seepage from the band clamp on the other side. Then saw the cracking in the rear control arm busing, then spotted some feathering at the outside tread edge and found the slight ball joint play on one side and replaced both. Learning to do your own labor helps keep the price reasonable. Car operates and looks as new.
Reply to
Daniel