Start of steering problems?

The steering wheel seems to have developed a slight "catch" when the wheel is turned about 90 degrees in my '91 Camry DX. The fluid is still full and there is no squealing noise noticeable. I have noticed a very light creaking noise recently. This isn't a real problem yet, I'm just afraid it's the start of one. Any ideas?

Josh

--
Joshua Smeltser

and

When you say a 'catch' you mean the steering-wheel transmits a bump to your hands? Power-steering uses little pistons and hydraulic valves. It maybe one of these is sticking due wear.

Replacing the fluid may help, but I tend to think the unit will require a rebuild eventually.

As a safety measure, get a professional opinion.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Hmm...My first guess is ball joints, esp the 'creaking' noise. Esp if you're at the steering lock, and going over a small bump.

Next guess is the coupling. Near the firewall, if you look down just in front of the firewall, you'll see where the steering shaft comes out from the passenger compartment, goes into a coupling and mates iwth the shaft from the rack. I've been told by numerous *knowledgable* people that greasing this coupling can make the noise go away. Had the similar problem in my GTS and had the front end checked, and when I greased the joint both the noise and the 'notch went away. Even WD-40 will do the trick, or, if you have an empty bottle of motor oil, the last few drips will work.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Thanks for comments, will have my mechanic check it out!

Josh

Joshua Smeltser wrote:

--
Joshua Smeltser